1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[General Relativity] Prove that a tensor is a co-tensor

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    Hello! I'd appreciate any help or pokes in the right direction.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that a co-tensor of rank 2, ##T_{\mu\nu}##, is obtained from the tensor of rank 2 ##T^{\mu\nu}## by using a metric to lower the indices:
    $$T_{\mu\nu} = g_{\mu\alpha}g_{\nu\beta}T^{\alpha\beta}$$

2. Relevant equations
    I know that a vector is a covector if its components transform from one frame to another as:
    $$B_\alpha '= \frac {\partial x^\beta}{\partial x'^\alpha } B_\beta$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Analogous to a co-vector, I figure that a tensor of rank 2 is a co-tensor if
    $$T_{\alpha\beta} '= \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } T_{\mu\nu}$$

So I'll start on the right-side and try to simplify it to the left side...
    $$
    RS = \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } T_{\mu\nu}
    = \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } g_{\mu\delta} g_{\nu\epsilon} T^{\delta\epsilon}
    $$
    Now I'll substitute in the Jacobians...
    $$
    = ({\Lambda^{-1}})^\mu_\alpha ({\Lambda^{-1}})^\nu_\beta g_{\mu\delta} g_{\nu\epsilon} T^{\delta\epsilon}
    $$

And I'm not sure where to go from here. I suspect I can contract the jacobians with the metric tensors but I'm not sure how to handle that.

Thanks,
    mef

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I think what the problem is asking you is to show that ##T_{\mu\nu}\equiv g_{\mu\alpha}g_{\nu\beta}T^{\alpha\beta}## defined in this way is in fact a co-vector. Is that your interpretation of the problem as well?

In that case, by changing a coordinate system, we should have still ##T_{\mu'\nu'} = g_{\mu'\alpha'}g_{\nu'\beta'}T^{\alpha'\beta'}##. What does the right hand side of this equation look like in terms of un-primed indices?

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Ok so then we can express the right-side in terms of the unprimed terms using
    $$g_{\mu'\alpha'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}g_{\delta\epsilon}$$
    $$g_{\nu'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}g_{\eta\kappa}$$
    And we'll get
    $$
    T_{\mu'\nu'}=g_{\mu'\alpha'}g_{\nu'\beta'}T^{\alpha'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}T^{\alpha'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}T^{\alpha'\beta'}
    $$ $$
    =(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}T^{\epsilon\kappa}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}T_{\delta\eta}
    $$

So we see that ##T_{\mu'\nu'}## transforms as ##T_{\mu'\nu'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}T_{\delta\eta}## which means that it's a co tensor!

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of your indices should still be primed. Each ##(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu_{~~\nu'}## should have a prime on the bottom index (or else they wouldn't sum over with the T indices in the 3rd and 4th parts of the expression, and they wouldn't match the primped indices on the left hand side of the equation),. Also, usually one would be a bit more general and just leave it in terms of ##\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x^{\nu'}}## so that we can consider more than just Lorentz transformations. But other than that, it looks fine to me.

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5
    You're right.
    My prof has a convention where you only write the primes on the object instead of the indices (so ##T_{\mu\nu}'## instead of ##T_{\mu'\nu'}## and he also defined the transformation ##\Lambda## so that ##\Lambda## has a prime on the top and ##\Lambda^{-1}## has a prime on the bottom:
    ##\Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}}## and ##(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial x'^{\nu}}##

I prefer priming the indices instead because then you don't have to remember that ##\Lambda^{-1}## has primes on the bottom and vice versa

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted