[General Relativity] Prove that a tensor is a co-tensor

In summary, the homework statement asks for a co-tensor of rank 2, which is obtained from the tensor of rank 2 by using a metric to lower the indices. The Attempt at a Solution tries to simplify the tensor of rank 2 to the left side, but is not sure where to go from there. Thanks, mef.
mef51
Hello! I'd appreciate any help or pokes in the right direction.

Homework Statement

Show that a co-tensor of rank 2, ##T_{\mu\nu}##, is obtained from the tensor of rank 2 ##T^{\mu\nu}## by using a metric to lower the indices:
$$T_{\mu\nu} = g_{\mu\alpha}g_{\nu\beta}T^{\alpha\beta}$$

Homework Equations

I know that a vector is a covector if its components transform from one frame to another as:
$$B_\alpha '= \frac {\partial x^\beta}{\partial x'^\alpha } B_\beta$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Analogous to a co-vector, I figure that a tensor of rank 2 is a co-tensor if
$$T_{\alpha\beta} '= \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } T_{\mu\nu}$$

So I'll start on the right-side and try to simplify it to the left side...
$$
RS = \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } T_{\mu\nu}
= \frac {\partial x^\mu}{\partial x'^\alpha } \frac {\partial x^\nu}{\partial x'^\beta } g_{\mu\delta} g_{\nu\epsilon} T^{\delta\epsilon}
$$
Now I'll substitute in the Jacobians...
$$
= ({\Lambda^{-1}})^\mu_\alpha ({\Lambda^{-1}})^\nu_\beta g_{\mu\delta} g_{\nu\epsilon} T^{\delta\epsilon}
$$

And I'm not sure where to go from here. I suspect I can contract the jacobians with the metric tensors but I'm not sure how to handle that.

Thanks,
mef

Physics news on Phys.org
So I think what the problem is asking you is to show that ##T_{\mu\nu}\equiv g_{\mu\alpha}g_{\nu\beta}T^{\alpha\beta}## defined in this way is in fact a co-vector. Is that your interpretation of the problem as well?

In that case, by changing a coordinate system, we should have still ##T_{\mu'\nu'} = g_{\mu'\alpha'}g_{\nu'\beta'}T^{\alpha'\beta'}##. What does the right hand side of this equation look like in terms of un-primed indices?

Ok so then we can express the right-side in terms of the unprimed terms using
$$g_{\mu'\alpha'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}g_{\delta\epsilon}$$
$$g_{\nu'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}g_{\eta\kappa}$$
And we'll get
$$
T_{\mu'\nu'}=g_{\mu'\alpha'}g_{\nu'\beta'}T^{\alpha'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}T^{\alpha'\beta'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\alpha}^{\epsilon}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\beta}^{\kappa}T^{\alpha'\beta'}
$$ $$
=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}g_{\delta\epsilon}g_{\eta\kappa}T^{\epsilon\kappa}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}T_{\delta\eta}
$$

So we see that ##T_{\mu'\nu'}## transforms as ##T_{\mu'\nu'}=(\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu}^{\delta}(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\eta}T_{\delta\eta}## which means that it's a co tensor!

Some of your indices should still be primed. Each ##(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu_{~~\nu'}## should have a prime on the bottom index (or else they wouldn't sum over with the T indices in the 3rd and 4th parts of the expression, and they wouldn't match the primped indices on the left hand side of the equation),. Also, usually one would be a bit more general and just leave it in terms of ##\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial x^{\nu'}}## so that we can consider more than just Lorentz transformations. But other than that, it looks fine to me.

You're right.
My prof has a convention where you only write the primes on the object instead of the indices (so ##T_{\mu\nu}'## instead of ##T_{\mu'\nu'}## and he also defined the transformation ##\Lambda## so that ##\Lambda## has a prime on the top and ##\Lambda^{-1}## has a prime on the bottom:
##\Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}}## and ##(\Lambda^{-1})_{\nu}^{\mu}=\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial x'^{\nu}}##

I prefer priming the indices instead because then you don't have to remember that ##\Lambda^{-1}## has primes on the bottom and vice versa

Last edited:

1. What is a tensor in general relativity?

A tensor in general relativity is a mathematical object that represents physical quantities such as energy, momentum, and curvature in the theory of relativity. It is a generalization of the concept of a vector in linear algebra.

2. How is a tensor different from a co-tensor?

A tensor and a co-tensor are essentially the same mathematical object, but they differ in how they transform under coordinate transformations. A tensor transforms according to the tensor transformation law, while a co-tensor transforms according to the co-tensor transformation law. This difference is important in general relativity because it allows us to distinguish between quantities that are invariant and those that are not.

3. Can you give an example of a tensor in general relativity?

One example of a tensor in general relativity is the stress-energy tensor, which represents the distribution of energy and momentum in spacetime. It is a rank-2 tensor, meaning it has two indices, and it is used to model the gravitational field in Einstein's field equations.

4. How can you prove that a tensor is a co-tensor?

To prove that a tensor is a co-tensor, we must show that it transforms according to the co-tensor transformation law. This can be done by applying a coordinate transformation to the tensor and then comparing it to the co-tensor transformation law. If the resulting transformation matches the co-tensor transformation law, then we can conclude that the tensor is indeed a co-tensor.

5. What is the significance of tensors and co-tensors in general relativity?

Tensors and co-tensors play a crucial role in general relativity because they allow us to describe the curvature of spacetime and the physical quantities that are affected by it. By using tensors and co-tensors, we can formulate Einstein's field equations and understand the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravity.