Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    Suppose that we have the four-vector potential of the electromagnetic field, [texA^i[/tex]

The wave equation is given by $$(\frac {1}{c^2} \frac {\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-\nabla^2) A^i=0$$

Now the solution, for a purely spatial potential vector, is given by

$$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\mathbf{a_k} \exp{i(\pm \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}}); \mathbf{k}.\mathbf{a}=0$$

To find the general solution we write the superposition as

$$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\int (\mathbf{f(k)}\exp{i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})+\mathbf{g(k)}\exp{-i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t+\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})) \frac {d^3 \mathbf{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}$$

My question is that where this $$\frac {d^3 \mathbf{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}$$

comes from? Shouldn't it be $$d^3\mathbf{x}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It comes from the density of states in ##\mathbf{k}##-space. If you were to integrate over ##d^3\mathbf{x}##, you wouldn't get the vector potential as a function of ##\mathbf{x}##, would you?

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    Why we do not say that $$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\sum_{\mathbf{f(k)}\mathbf{g(k)}} (\mathbf{f(k)}\exp{i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})+\mathbf{g(k)}\exp{-i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t+\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})) $$

Isn't superposition simply given by the above sum? Why and how we transform to the integral?

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isnt' k a continuous variable? How could you sum after its continuous values?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook