General Solution to time independent schrodinger equation

In summary, the person is having difficulties getting the general solution to the infinite square well in the form: u=A cos(kx) + B sin(kx) using Euler's formula. They found the general solution to be: u=A exp(ikx) + B exp(-ikx). They also found that when they changed the integration constants A and B to C and D, the equation became: C exp(ikx) = A cos(kx) + iB sin(kx).
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

This is really a maths problem I'm having.

I need to get the general solution for the infinite square well in the form:

u = A cos(kx) + B sin(kx)

I found the general solution to be:

u = A exp(ikx) + B exp(-ikx)

Using Euler's formula:

exp(ikx) = cos(kx) + isin (kx)
exp(-ikx) = cos(kx) - isin(kx)

Hence, general solution becomes :

u = A cos(kx) + Bcos(kx)

What am I missing out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you got from the exponential form to the double cosine form. I have a feeling you think that A sin x- B sin x=0.

Yes you're right! That was a mistake I've made:

Instead I get:

u = (A + B) cos(kx) + (A - B) i sin(kx)

I still don't know how to get the correct form from this..

The problem you're having is that you labeled the integration constants for both types of solutions the same. This causes confusion.

Instead use [itex]u=C e^{ikx}+De^{-ikx}[/itex] and find a relation between C,D and A,B (just relabel A and B in post #3).

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
The problem you're having is that you labeled the integration constants for both types of solutions the same. This causes confusion.

Instead use [itex]u=C e^{ikx}+De^{-ikx}[/itex] and find a relation between C,D and A,B (just relabel A and B in post #3).

I'm not sure what you mean. How would changing A & B to C & D make a difference?

Because the A in your first equation is not necessarily the same as the A in your second equation (post #1). Using the same name for different constants gets you into trouble. Just use the u given in my post with constants C and D and find a relation between those and A and B.

Cyosis said:
Because the A in your first equation is not necessarily the same as the A in your second equation (post #1). Using the same name for different constants gets you into trouble. Just use the u given in my post with constants C and D and find a relation between those and A and B.

Forgive me for asking again. I seem to be confused over something so simple.

I did as you said..I think and got:

C exp(ikx) = A cos(kx) + iB sin(kx)

D exp(-ikx) = A cos(kx) + iB sin(kx)

What people are trying to tell you is that [itex]Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx} \ne A\cos(kx)+B\sin(kx)[/itex]. You can't get one from the other because they're not equal to each other. You can, however, show that [itex]Ce^{ikx}+De^{-ikx} = A\cos(kx)+B\sin(kx)[/itex] if you choose A and B correctly. Remember that C and D are arbitrary constants. Any combination of them will just be another arbitrary constant.

vela said:
What people are trying to tell you is that [itex]Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx} \ne A\cos(kx)+B\sin(kx)[/itex]. You can't get one from the other because they're not equal to each other. You can, however, show that [itex]Ce^{ikx}+De^{-ikx} = A\cos(kx)+B\sin(kx)[/itex] if you choose A and B correctly. Remember that C and D are arbitrary constants. Any combination of them will just be another arbitrary constant.

My previous post was wrong, sorry, is it simply:

C exp(ikx) = C cos(kx) + iC sin(kx)

D exp(-ikx) = D cos(kx) - iD sin(kx)

So,

C+D = A

(iC - iD) = B

Therefore:

C exp(ikx) + D exp(-ikx) = A cos(kx) + B sin(kx)

Yup, you got it.

Thanks for the patience everyone

1. What is the time independent Schrodinger equation?

The time independent Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system that is not changing over time. It is written as HΨ = EΨ, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, Ψ is the wave function of the system, and E is the energy of the system.

2. What is the general solution to the time independent Schrodinger equation?

The general solution to the time independent Schrodinger equation is a set of wave functions that satisfy the equation for a given system. These wave functions represent the possible states of the system and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the system in a particular state.

3. How is the time independent Schrodinger equation used in quantum mechanics?

The time independent Schrodinger equation is used in quantum mechanics to determine the energy levels and wave functions of a quantum system. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the system and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes.

4. What does it mean for a system to be time independent in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

A system is considered time independent if its properties and behavior do not change over time. In the context of the Schrodinger equation, this means that the system's Hamiltonian operator (which represents the total energy of the system) does not change with time.

5. Are there any limitations to the time independent Schrodinger equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the time independent Schrodinger equation. It is only applicable to non-relativistic systems, meaning it does not accurately describe the behavior of particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It also does not take into account the effects of electromagnetic fields or interactions between particles. In these cases, more advanced equations, such as the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, must be used.