General Solutions for a particle in a magnetic field

In summary, the particle moves only on the x-y plane, but instead of circular motion it gets an unattractive ellipse. Assuming the particle moves only on the x-y plane and starts at (x0, y0, 0), the Lorentz force yields the following:
danielakkerma
Hello everyone!
I encountered a curious problem while trying to solve the case of a particle with v(v_x0, v_y0, 0), and B(0, 0, Bz); The elucidation of the differential equations obtained through the Lorentz force in this case, should coincide with those obtained through a simplification granted by using the Centripetal force, but here, instead of circular motion I get an unattractive ellipse :(.
Assuming the particle moves only on the x-y plane, and starts at (x0, y0, 0), the Lorentz force yields the following:
[itex]
\large
\vec{F} = q(\vec{v}\times\vec{B})
[/itex]
[itex]
ma_x(t) = -qv_yB
[/itex]
[itex]
ma_y(t) = qv_xB
[/itex]
Which in turn, with these initial conditions leads to:
With v0 = Sqrt(vx0^2+vy0^2);
Alpha derived from: Arctan[vy/vx] = alpha;
[itex]
x(t) = x_0+ \frac{v_0(-\sin(\alpha)+\sin(\omega t + \alpha))}{\omega}
[/itex]
[itex]
y(t) = y_0+ \frac{v_0(\cos(\alpha)-\cos(\omega t + \alpha))}{\omega}
[/itex]
[itex]
\omega = \frac{qB}{m}
[/itex]
Plugging in some random values, leads to the attached image, while we all know that motion in a magnetic field should be accompanied by uniform circular motion;
Where have I gone wrong?
Thanks,
Daniel
P.S
This is not related in anyway, to homework.

Attachments

• Oval.bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't think it might not be caused by the fact that your axes have different scales?

Firstly, let me thank you for a very prompt reply!
Yes, I have thought of that, as a matter of fact, but the problem is, that attempting to prove that curve is a circle, i.e, by placing it in (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=R^2, doesn't produce the desired result. In other words, after expanding the left-hand-side, the time dependent component does not vanish, further suggesting that this is somehow, not a circle.
Anyhow, adjusting the scales does little good :(.
What else could there be?
Thankful as always,
Daniel

When I make a plot it looks like a circle to me. And from what I can tell x^2+y^2 = R^2, where R is a constant. You forget that x and y have constant offsets dependent upon x_0, y_0 and \alpha. If you retain the time dependent parts you can easily see that they create a circle.

Hi,
Thanks again for your response;
I guess I did overreact, and that it should turn out alright; as for x^2+y^2..., I think the problem lied in my not taking the explicit form of y as a function of x. Thus, the problem resides, in this case, in the function being a parametric one.
Thanks again for all your help!
Couldn't have done it with you!
Beholden,
Bound,
Daniel

1. What is a general solution for a particle in a magnetic field?

A general solution for a particle in a magnetic field is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a charged particle, such as an electron, moving in a magnetic field. It takes into account the particle's initial position, velocity, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the general solution derived?

The general solution for a particle in a magnetic field is derived using the Lorentz force equation, which relates the force on a charged particle to its velocity and the magnetic field it is moving through. This equation is then solved using mathematical techniques, such as differential equations, to obtain the general solution.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a particle in a magnetic field?

The behavior of a particle in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and its initial position and velocity. These factors determine the path and speed of the particle as it moves through the magnetic field.

4. Can the general solution be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the general solution for a particle in a magnetic field can be applied to all types of charged particles, such as electrons, protons, and ions. However, it may need to be modified for different types of particles, depending on their charge and mass.

5. How is the general solution used in practical applications?

The general solution for a particle in a magnetic field is used in various practical applications, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It allows scientists to predict and control the motion of charged particles in magnetic fields, which is essential for these technologies to function properly.