1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Solutions for a particle in a magnetic field

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone!
    I encountered a curious problem while trying to solve the case of a particle with v(v_x0, v_y0, 0), and B(0, 0, Bz); The elucidation of the differential equations obtained through the Lorentz force in this case, should coincide with those obtained through a simplification granted by using the Centripetal force, but here, instead of circular motion I get an unattractive ellipse :(.
    Assuming the particle moves only on the x-y plane, and starts at (x0, y0, 0), the Lorentz force yields the following:
    [itex]
    \large
    \vec{F} = q(\vec{v}\times\vec{B})
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    ma_x(t) = -qv_yB
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    ma_y(t) = qv_xB
    [/itex]
    Which in turn, with these initial conditions leads to:
    With v0 = Sqrt(vx0^2+vy0^2);
    Alpha derived from: Arctan[vy/vx] = alpha;
    [itex]
    x(t) = x_0+ \frac{v_0(-\sin(\alpha)+\sin(\omega t + \alpha))}{\omega}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    y(t) = y_0+ \frac{v_0(\cos(\alpha)-\cos(\omega t + \alpha))}{\omega}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    \omega = \frac{qB}{m}
    [/itex]
    Plugging in some random values, leads to the attached image, while we all know that motion in a magnetic field should be accompanied by uniform circular motion;
    Where have I gone wrong?
    Thanks,
    Daniel
    P.S
    This is not related in anyway, to homework.

Attached Files:

• Oval.bmp
      Oval.bmp
      File size:
      144.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't think it might not be caused by the fact that your axes have different scales?

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Firstly, let me thank you for a very prompt reply!
    Yes, I have thought of that, as a matter of fact, but the problem is, that attempting to prove that curve is a circle, i.e, by placing it in (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=R^2, doesn't produce the desired result. In other words, after expanding the left-hand-side, the time dependent component does not vanish, further suggesting that this is somehow, not a circle.
    Anyhow, adjusting the scales does little good :(.
    What else could there be?
    Thankful as always,
    Daniel

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I make a plot it looks like a circle to me. And from what I can tell x^2+y^2 = R^2, where R is a constant. You forget that x and y have constant offsets dependent upon x_0, y_0 and \alpha. If you retain the time dependent parts you can easily see that they create a circle.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5
    Hi,
    Thanks again for your response;
    I guess I did overreact, and that it should turn out alright; as for x^2+y^2..., I think the problem lied in my not taking the explicit form of y as a function of x. Thus, the problem resides, in this case, in the function being a parametric one.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Couldn't have done it with you!
    Beholden,
    Bound,
    Daniel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook