Learning Math & Physics: Questions & Tips

In summary, you should start by reading Feynman's Lectures on Physics and Walter Lewin's Lectures. You can find help on the forums here at PF. If you are not a student, you can find help at community colleges or universities.
Frouel
I have a few questions concerning learning mathematics and physics.
1. How to learn abstract definitions? Must I do learn it by heart? How to understand and apply them correctly?
2. What type of subjects you learn in theoretical physics include mathematics. I need subjects with all years of study.
3. How to learn on your own? How to hasten to learn science?
4. Where I can find help If I am not a student?
5. Do you have any good tips what avoid or what do, learn physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think these answers depend upon your age and educational experience. I will point you at MIT Open courseware generically..

I know where I can find proper scientific pages and publications, but You didn't response on my certain questions.

So what is your age and educational experience?

Likes symbolipoint
Frouel said:
How to learn abstract definitions?

Also, what's an example of an "abstract definition"?

17/high school student.

etotheipi said:
Also, what's an example of an "abstract definition"?
or formal definitions...

Frouel said:
or formal definitions...

Too vague. Do you mean equations, or wordy definitions, or what? Please give an example from maths or physics, so that we can attempt to be of any help!

I ended all high school school program with physics and mathematics, include olympiads.

Frouel said:
1. How to learn abstract definitions? Must I do learn it by heart? How to understand and apply them correctly?
2. What type of subjects you learn in theoretical physics include mathematics. I need subjects with all years of study.
3. How to learn on your own? How to hasten to learn science?
Those are not very productive questions. If you have those questions, it at best means you are curious or interested in Mathematics and Physics.

If you CAN continue being a student and attend an academic institution after high school, even if something such as a community college, your options to start there should be good. Most of the questions you asked in your post #1, you will find the answers to as you go.

Some confusion: You said you are not a student. If you could change this and gain admission to something like a community college, then this would be a productive change. In studying Physics (or many other things in technology or sciences), you want to learn partly in laboratories - not just from books and paper.

Frouel said:
17/high school student.
See, that helps a lot.

You should start reading Feynman's Lectures on Physics and viewing Walter Lewin"s Lectures.
I'm not big on definitions but if you wish to communicate to other humans they are occasionally useful. So "as needed".
After a few months you will have new questions.

Frouel said:
1. How to learn abstract definitions?
It's sometimes easier to learn them by heart just to get used to them, than heading for comprehension. E.g. the ##\varepsilon-\delta## definition of continuity. It is easier than to deduce it from its meaning everytime it is used.
Must I do learn it by heart?
How else do you learn physical laws? Newton, thermodynamics, etc. The alternative would be to learn the according underlying differential equation systems. This would be by heart, too, and far too difficult to derive the laws from that.
How to understand and apply them correctly?
By practice. Theorems, exercises, and again exercises. There is no shortcut to practice.
This list would be a bit long, wouldn't it? Just go through our forums, especially the homework forums. The short answer is coordinate systems, linear algebra, manifolds, calculus and differential equations on the mathematical side. They are all over the physical place. But you don't start with such a heavy load. You learn them piece by piece on your way as needed.
3. How to learn on your own?
Now this is definitely an individual question. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Some have a photographic memory, others need visual stimulations, some learn best alone, others in groups. This question is one for your teachers who know you better.
How to hasten to learn science?
With a lot of discipline, always being curious and asking "why", and checking - for example here on PF - whether what you have learned is correct, or must be corrected, esp. if you learn on your own.
Here, where you are. We basically offer free tutorials. All what is needed from your side is seriousness and some efforts, so that we can see, where you got stuck.
Avoid abstract algebra at the beginning and elaborated fields like quantum field theory and general relativity. Do learn calculus and differential equations.

Likes Frouel and hutchphd

1. What are some effective study tips for learning math and physics?

Some effective study tips for learning math and physics include practicing regularly, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and using various resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math and physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in math and physics, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles, practice solving a variety of problems, and learn from mistakes. It can also be helpful to work with others and discuss different approaches to solving problems.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning math and physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning math and physics include not understanding the fundamentals, relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to avoid procrastination and to stay organized with notes and assignments.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning math and physics?

To stay motivated while learning math and physics, it can be helpful to set specific goals, break down larger goals into smaller achievable ones, and reward yourself for progress made. It can also be beneficial to find real-life applications of the concepts being learned and to surround yourself with a supportive community of peers and mentors.

5. What are some resources for practicing and testing my knowledge in math and physics?

There are many resources available for practicing and testing knowledge in math and physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Additionally, many schools and universities offer study groups, tutoring services, and practice exams for students to utilize. It can also be helpful to create your own practice problems or to teach the material to someone else to solidify understanding.