General World Cup and in-game discussion

In summary: Chile.Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).
Gosh, that was a very tense match... US deserved to win IMO, Portugal was so lucky to score that last goal (but it wasn't a bad goal).

Physics news on Phys.org
I...I'm Crying...T__T That was ridiculous...

US can still qualify. The last matches in this group will be thrilling.

DennisN said:
The last matches in this group will be thrilling.
I beg to differ. The last matches in group G will be very boring. I suspect that the Germany v USA game will make the 1982 Germany v Austria game look thrilling. Germany and US both advance with a tie. Why take chances of an attack that begets a counterattack?

That would be dangerous I think. The games are played at the same time according to wiki. [STRIKE]If Ghana wins by 2-0 against Portugal, US will have to score[/STRIKE] (if I read the table correctly). EDIT: No, I was wrong. (I am tired, haha). You are correct, DH.

Right now Germany and USA have four points each, Ghana and Portugal one point each. The maximum that Ghana or Portugal can get with a win is four points. The Ghana v Portugal game means nothing if Germany and USA tie because that will give both Germany and USA five points each. Tie breaker rules will make Germany #1, USA #2.

Germany wants the #1 spot, and the easiest way to lose that is with a loss to the US. Germany will be very happy with a tie. It guarantees them the #1 spot. USA wants to advance, and the easiest way not to do that is to lose to Germany. The USA will be happy with a tie. It guarantees them the #2 spot.

Last edited:
If this were a chess match, the USA and Germany would agree to a draw in like 6 moves.
BUT WE SHOULD HAVE ADVANCED TODAY! >_<

Klinsman need to talk with the current German coach.

D H said:
I beg to differ. The last matches in group G will be very boring. I suspect that the Germany v USA game will make the 1982 Germany v Austria game look thrilling. Germany and US both advance with a tie. Why take chances of an attack that begets a counterattack?

You think Klinsmann will play for a draw against Germany? That seems a pretty risky tactic with a defence that's a little shaky - concede a goal and then you're in trouble. Of course, part of my optimism is as a football fan, since I want to see as many exciting games as possible! That and the fact that Klinsmann said "Now we have to go out and beat Germany, that's what we have to do." Maybe he's trying to avoid 1982-type criticism, though.

cristo said:
Klinsmann said "Now we have to go out and beat Germany, that's what we have to do."

I must say German stating "US has to beat Germany" sounds funny, especially in the historical context :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am heartbroken

To quote you:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Wow soccer is cruel sometimes!

Well, one thing that makes me less upset is the thought that - if Ghana goes to the next round, they too deserve it for that fantastic game with Germany.

Looks like today the only interesting and meaningful game will be Mexico vs Croatia.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like today the only interesting and meaningful game will be Mexico vs Croatia.

What about Holland v Chile playing to avoid Brasil in the next round?

a_596_20140619144357.jpg

Source: http://www.tickld.com/x/for-any-confused-world-cup-fans-this-is-absolutely-genius.

cristo said:
What about Holland v Chile playing to avoid Brasil in the next round?

True! But but it's uncertain which slot Brazil will end up in. I doubt either of those hot teams are too scared of Brazil and would rather rest players.

Greg Bernhardt said:
True! But but it's uncertain which slot Brazil will end up in. I doubt either of those hot teams are too scared of Brazil and would rather rest players.

I think Brasil are feeling the pressure of the nation. They will improve as the tournament goes on, and I think they will come top of the group.

Greg Bernhardt said:
True! But but it's uncertain which slot Brazil will end up in.
Brazil is playing Cameroon. A loss or a tie is extremely unlikely. Even a marginal 1-0 win by Brazil pretty much gives Brazil a lock on 1st in group A because that would mean Mexico would have to win by at least three points against Croatia.

fivethirtyeight.com has Brazil at a 91.5% probability of coming in first.

I doubt either of those hot teams are too scared of Brazil and would rather rest players.
Rest players? Against Brazil? You can't be serious. The winners of groups D and G might rest players in the first stage of the knockout games. I can't see any other team doing that.

We'll definitely be playing to win. However some players are in unusual positions, so not sure what it'll be.

Netherlands is also playing with a different colored jersey. They played in blue before. Orange? Who chose that?

D H said:
Source: http://www.tickld.com/x/for-any-confused-world-cup-fans-this-is-absolutely-genius.
Costa Rica :rofl: Who would've thought

D H said:
Rest players? Against Brazil? You can't be serious. The winners of groups D and G might rest players in the first stage of the knockout games. I can't see any other team doing that.

Scared of playing them in the knockout round so Chile and Holland might as well rest players against each other.

D H said:
Netherlands is also playing with a different colored jersey. They played in blue before. Orange? Who chose that?
Orange is our home color, there's nothing more beautiful than that!

I know. Just giving you a hard time.

Why did they play in blue before this?

D H said:
I know. Just giving you a hard time.
Yes I bite :)

Why did they play in blue before this?
They were playing out, so were dressed up in Royal Blue :biggrin:

2-0!

The poule of death and three wins, not bad :D

The pool of overrated death, you mean. It turns out group B had two easy teams. Spain showed that there's something very wrong with the FIFA rankings.

Groups D and G are still quite deadly. Costa Rica is in, England is out in group D, but where Costa Rica stands and who will be the other team to advance are both up in the air. With regard to group G, who knows? While Germany is almost certainly in and Portugal is very likely to be out, each one of the four teams still can advance, and on the flip side, each one can still be sent home.

D H said:
The pool of overrated death, you mean. It turns out group B had two easy teams. Spain showed that there's something very wrong with the FIFA rankings.
Certainly this has been a surprising start of the World Cup, but you can't take away that we've won the Poule of Death :devil:

Can't help it, Poule of Death makes me think about El Pollo Diablo.

Pic_El_Pollo_Diablo.JPG

Monique said:
Certainly this has been a surprising start of the World Cup, but you can't take away that we've won the Poule of Death :devil:
I think you meant pool of death. Poule of death has a rather different meaning than you intended. Poule is a word in English. It comes from the French word meaning chicken, but it's meaning in English is a bit derogatory. It's a bit funny that you typed poule of death with red lipstick.

See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poule.

Yeah, I'm watching you...

-EvilChicken.jpg

Monique said:
Yeah, I'm watching you...

:rofl:

Italy has to hold off 30 minutes with a man down. If they do survive, I don't see them surviving past the round of 16 because they will most likely be playing Columbia, and doing so without Balotelli and Marchisio.