1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized Eigenspace and JOrdan Form

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each linear operator T, find a basis for each generalized eigenspace of T consisting of a union of disjoint cycles of generalized eigenvectors. The find a Jordan canonical form J of T.

a) T is the linear operator on P2(R) defined by T(f(x)) = 2f(x) - f '(x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I know the matrix rep of this transformation on the standard basis {1, x, x2}:
    T(1) = 2
    T(x) = -1 + 2x
    T(x2) = -2x + 2x2

[tex][T]_{\beta}[/tex] =
    2 -1 0
    0 2 -2
    0 0 2 and the eigenvalue of this matrix is [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2 with a multiplicity of 3.

I know the JOrdan form will be :

2 1 0
    0 2 1
    0 0 2 , just not sure how to get the basis or how to get the J from the [T]

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 2 must satisfy
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & -1 & 0 \\0 & 2 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    [tex]= \begin{bmatrix}2a- b & 2b- 2c & 2c\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} 2x \\ 2y \\ 2z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we have 2a- b= 2a, 2b- 2c= 2b, and 2c= 2c. The first says that b= 0 and the second that c= 0. All eigenvectors are multiples of [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

The characteristic equation for this operator is [itex](\lambda- 2)^3= 0[/itex] and, since a matrix always satifies its own characteristic equation, we must have [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex] for all vectors v. Of course if Tv= 2v, that is if v is an eigenvector, the (T- 2I)v= 0 so [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex]. But the eigenvectors for this T only span a one-dimensional subspace.

We need to find v such that (T-I)v is not 0 but is in that eigen-space: then we would have [itex](T- I)^2((T-I)v)= (T-I)^2v= 0[/itex]- a "generalized eigenvector".

That is, we look for x, y, z such that
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix} -y \\ -2z \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

It is easy to see that
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    works.

But now we need a vector such that neither (T- 2I)v= 0 nor [itex](T- 2I)^2v= 0[/itex] but such that [itex](T- 2I)^3v= 0[/itex]. Now we need [itex](T- 2I)^2v[/itex] to be an eigenvector which will be the case if
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}-y \\ -2z \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That gives
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ \frac{1}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Those three vectors form the basis. If P is the matrix having those vectors as columns, then [itex]P^{-1}TP[/itex] will be in Jordan Normal Form.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook