1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximization of an Uncertainty Product

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sakurai problem 1.20: find the linear combination of spin-up and spin-down S_z eigenkets that maximizes the uncertainty product [itex]\langle(\Delta S_x)^2\rangle\langle(\Delta S_y)^2\rangle.[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

In general, we can write a normalized spin-space ket as [tex]\vert\alpha\rangle = \cos\phi\vert +\rangle+\sin\phi e^{i\theta}\vert -\rangle.[/tex] Various trig identities are probably relevant (sums and differences of similar complex exponentials and the like). Also, the spin-1/2 representation [itex]S_i = \frac\hbar 2\sigma_i[/itex] is certainly relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the Pauli sigma matrices are involuntary and the ket is normalized we see immediately that [tex]\langle S_x^2\rangle=\langle S_y^2\rangle =\frac{\hbar^2}4.[/tex] Using elementary trig we can also compute [tex]\langle S_x\rangle^2 = \hbar^2\sin^2\phi\cos^2\phi\cos^2\theta,\qquad\langle S_y\rangle = \hbar^2\sin^2\phi\cos^2\phi\sin^2\theta.[/tex] The uncertainty product is then a function F of two variables that should be maximized, and simplification yields [tex]F(\phi,\theta) = \hbar^4(\frac 1 4-\sin^2\phi\cos^2\phi\cos^2\theta)(\frac 1 4-\sin^2\phi\cos^2\phi\sin^2\theta) = \frac{\hbar^4}{16}(1-\sin^2(2\phi)+\frac 1 4\sin^4(2\phi)\sin^2(2\theta).[/tex] But this has degenerate maxima at phi = nπ/2 for any theta, which is definitely not the expected answer for the problem. Is this due to an algebraic mistake on my part or a conceptual mishap?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your answer is correct. Can you describe the physical interpretation of your angles ##\phi## and ##\theta## (or better, ##2\phi## and ##\theta## )? If so, your answer shouldn't be too surprising.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted