1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalizing symmetry axis of constant-contour ellipses

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    Hi

I am looking at the contours of the following function f, which trace out an ellipse:

[tex]
    f(x, y, z) = \exp(-x^2a)\exp(-y^2b)
    [/tex]
    Here [itex]a\neq b[/itex] are both positive, real constants. The axis of these ellipses is along [itex]z[/itex]. Now, I am wondering how to generalize the function f such that the symmetry axis of these elliptical contours lies along an arbitrary vector defined by some line that goes through the point p=(x0, y0, z0) and has directional vector r (in usual spherical coordinates)
    [tex]
    r = (\sin \theta, \cos \phi, \sin \theta\sin\phi, \cos \theta)
    [/tex]
    If [itex]a=b=1[/itex] the task would be easy: In this case we can write [itex]d^2 = x^2 + y^2[/itex], and generalize this such that it gives the distance between the point/coordinate (x,y,z) and the above line (p, r). But when [itex]a\neq b[/itex] I can't write [itex]d^2[/itex] like that. What can I do in this general case?

Note that this question is a generalization of this thread, where the case [itex]a=b=1[/itex] was treated. Thanks in advance for hints/help.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather than try to do a change of coordinates directly, I think it helps to build intuition to do it backwards. In the exponential, we want a function whose value is 0 if you are lying on a line given by a specific vector v (presumably a unit vector but it doesn't really affect the problem), and furthermore we pick two vectors w1 and w2 orthogonal to v and having unit length such that if our position (x,y,z) is: [itex](x,y,z)= \alpha w_1 + \beta w_2+\gamma v[/itex] then in the exponential we have
    [tex] e^{-\alpha^2 a -\beta^2 b } [/tex].

Now we're done basically! The function f(x,y,z) is defined in two steps:
    1) Write [itex] (x,y,z) = \alpha w_1 + \beta w_2 + \gamma v [/itex]
    2) Define
    [tex] f(x,y,z) = e^{-\alpha^2 a - \beta^2 b } [/tex]
    To write this in a single formula all you need to do is solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex] \beta[/itex] in terms of (x,y,z) which can be done by inverting a 3x3 matrix (assuming you know w1, w2 and v)

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    Hi Office_Shredder

Thanks for that. You are right, doing it backwards like this is more intuitive. So it reduces to finding the unit vectors w1, w2 and v for a given symmetry axis. I write the axis generally, so it passes through some point P=(x', y', z') with unit direction vector
    [tex]
    r = (\sin \theta \cos \phi, \sin \theta\sin\phi, \cos\theta)
    [/tex]
    So the axis is given by L(t) = P + rt. I am working in units of meters so P is in meters, just like the product rt (r is unitless). This line is v. I am a little uncertain of this, because I need a unit vector, whereas this is basically a parametrized line.

Now I need to find w1 and w2, parallel to the two axes of the ellipse. Can I get a hint to how I can determine these?

Thanks for getting me started.

EDIT: I realized that I don't need to take into account P at the current moment. I can always do that afterwards, when I have found [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex], sinply by shifting [itex]x, y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]. So v is simply given by the unit vector in spherical coordinates for now, r.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. Jun 10, 2013 #4
    I figured it out, w1 and w2 are of course just the other spherical components, besides r. So now I know what [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are in terms of [itex](x, y, z)[/itex]. If I want to shift them by a constant amount, I just shift [itex](x, y, z)\rightarrow (x+x', y+y', z+z')[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted