Generating electrical power from moisture?

• Thread starter wvt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    moisture
In summary, Moisture-Enabled Electric Power Generation is possible with the help of a hygroscopic layer on a nanomaterial, charge separation, and charge distribution in water drops. This technology has the potential to be used in self-powered sensors and voltaic cells.
wvt
hello
recently there was a report about generation of electrical power from moisture. Does someone have some details of this process? Would be interessant to try.
Key points: hygroscopic layer on nanomaterial; charge separation; charge distribution in water drops;

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for this interesting question. It seems beyond my experience with this emerging energy-harvesting technology called a moisture-enabled electric generator (MEG). This publication seems to cover a diverse range of 3 types of voltaic cells and self-powered sensors. Feel free to ask for more info here with your level of interest.

hello, thanks for inviting to further inquiries. honestly, I myself didn't understand the paper in the point, how charge separation exactly works in the special setup. Which kind of charge is carried by the water drops. How do they interact with the walls of the nano material. Does drop size matter?

So a lot of questions. We'll see whether more details will be reported and discussed in the time to come. For me this news is a trigger to occupy bit more with questions of different forms of electro kinetics in general: capillarity, nano generators, triboelectricity - questions that should be pursued with renewed interest within the framework of the debate about new energy resources.

I am reading : Ion Diffusion: There is a difference in ion concentration between the moist environment and the solid material, ions will naturally migrate across the material. This migration creates an electrical potential that can be harvested to generate electricity. I suspect the solid must change the pH of the water from 7 acidic or base but then that means degradation to me.
Streaming potential: This could be the triboelectric effects with friction.
Surface charge potential: Chemical reactions? Double Electric Layer effect increases capacitance. High energy 1.5V alkaline to Li Ion cells often have 10 kFarads per cell = These batteries will be far less.

1. How does generating electrical power from moisture work?

Generating electrical power from moisture involves using a device called a moisture harvester, which collects water vapor from the air. This water vapor is then condensed into liquid water and used to power a generator, producing electricity.

2. Is this technology environmentally friendly?

Yes, generating electrical power from moisture is considered a sustainable and environmentally friendly method of producing electricity. It does not produce any harmful emissions or pollutants and relies on a renewable resource - water vapor in the air.

3. What are the limitations of generating electrical power from moisture?

One of the main limitations of this technology is that it requires a certain level of humidity in the air to be effective. In areas with low humidity, it may not be a viable option for generating electricity. Additionally, the efficiency of moisture harvesters can be affected by factors such as temperature and air flow.

4. Can this technology be used on a large scale?

Yes, generating electrical power from moisture can be scaled up to meet larger energy demands. However, it may not be as efficient or cost-effective as other forms of renewable energy such as solar or wind power.

5. What are the potential applications of generating electrical power from moisture?

This technology can be used in a variety of applications, such as powering small electronic devices or providing electricity to remote areas with limited access to traditional power sources. It can also be used in conjunction with other renewable energy sources to create a more sustainable and reliable energy system.