Generator types in wind turbines

In summary, the majority of wind turbines used for small units such as RVs or boats use simple 12-14v dc generators. For large power installations like wind farms, the most commonly used types are doubly-fed asynchronous machines and permanent magnet synchronous machines. According to personal experience, 97% or more of these large systems use doubly-fed asynchronous machines, but newer technologies are beginning to shift towards directly driven PM synchronous machines. Specific statistics on these percentages can be difficult to find, but experts in the field may have more information.
EEwyoming
What are the percentages of types of generators commonly used in wind turbines? To clarify, what percentage are regular squirrel-cage machines? What percentage are doubly-fed machines, permanent magnet machines, synchronous machines, and so on. I'm looking for a general idea of these statistics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
...Or where can I look to find this information?

It depends what you are considering.
By number the majority will be simple 12-14v dc generators simply because most wind generators out there are small units used for RVs or boats.
For large power installations most modern systems will be double fed asynchronous because it's the most efficent and these systems have complex power controllers anyway to be able to feed to the grid.

Thanks mgb, here I'm referring to wind farms and large systems tied to the grid.

From what I've seen, the doubly-fed is the first choice usually, as you say. However, I'm hoping to find some specific statistics and I haven't been able to. I've even tried contacting the EIA. No reply. Any wind experts out there know?

In my experience, probably 97%+ are DFAS machines. The newer technologies are starting to get away from using gearboxes and use directly driven PM synchronous machines.

Thanks Topher

1. What are the different types of generators used in wind turbines?

There are two main types of generators used in wind turbines: synchronous generators and asynchronous (induction) generators. Synchronous generators are typically used in large-scale wind turbines and are connected directly to the power grid. Asynchronous generators, on the other hand, are more commonly used in small-scale wind turbines and require power electronics to convert the energy into usable electricity.

2. How do synchronous and asynchronous generators differ?

Synchronous generators produce electricity through the use of a rotating magnetic field, which requires the turbine to rotate at a constant speed. Asynchronous generators, on the other hand, use a stationary magnetic field and can operate at variable speeds. This means that asynchronous generators are better suited for fluctuating wind speeds, while synchronous generators are more efficient at higher speeds.

3. Which type of generator is more commonly used in modern wind turbines?

In recent years, the use of asynchronous generators has become more widespread due to their flexibility and cost-effectiveness. They are also better suited for small-scale wind turbines, which have become increasingly popular in residential and commercial settings.

4. Can generators be used in combination in wind turbines?

Yes, it is possible to use both synchronous and asynchronous generators in a single wind turbine. This is known as a doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG) system, where the synchronous generator is connected to the grid and the asynchronous generator is used to control the turbine's speed and power output.

5. Are there any other types of generators used in wind turbines?

Aside from synchronous and asynchronous generators, there are also permanent magnet generators (PMGs) and direct drive generators. PMGs use magnets to produce electricity and are more efficient than traditional generators. Direct drive generators eliminate the need for a gearbox, making them more reliable and requiring less maintenance.