Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genetic Distances

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    Can someone define what genetic distance is, and how it relates to different human populations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Genetics distance is define has beign the % of difference (mutation) between homologous protein/genes. The greater the diffence the greater is the evolutionnary distance but the distance is relative to the species/group distance.

For human population, genetics distance is use to determine where people are coming from and it is also use to see the how population move, interbreed, die and were intergrated. Clustal of variation are often seen within a group.

4. Sep 9, 2003 #3
    Thank You, Ian

5. Sep 13, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Genetic distances are measure in Centimorgans (cM) and 1 cM means a 1% rate of recombination. 1 cM is about equal to 1 Mb, but that differs per region and per sexe (females have a higher rate of recombination).

6. Sep 13, 2003 #5
    Thank You, Monique.

Can you recommend a website or book (nothing esoteric)that can provide me with the basics. I'm running into a number of words that are alien to me, e.g., phenotypes, haplotypes, alleles, mitochondial.

7. Sep 13, 2003 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Sep 13, 2003 #7
    Thanks, Ian

9. Sep 15, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you ever run into a specific problem, please don't hesitate to ask there are a number of people here into genetics, including me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?