1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesics and their linear equations

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Hi,

So I am going over on how to find a geodesic from any metric, esp. on a 2-sphere. I have been looking at my lecture notes and am confused as to how my professor solves for the equation in terms of the variables, i.e. [tex] (\theta , \phi) [/tex].

If i use the 2-sphere as an example here where the geodesic is given by:

[tex] \ddot{\phi} = -2\cot \theta \dot{\phi} \dot{\theta} [/tex]

[tex] \ddot{\theta} = \sin \theta \cos \theta \dot{\phi}^2 [/tex]

So from the metric we get a first dervative

[tex] 1 = \dot{\theta}^2 + \sin^2 \theta \dot{\phi}^2 [/tex]

My prof then goes on and simply states that

[tex] \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta} \frac{d}{d\tau} (\sin^2 \theta \dot{\phi}) = 0 [/tex]

Where does the last equation come from... in lecture he simply stated it and moved on from there with

[tex] (\sin^2 \theta \dot{\phi}) = l = constant [/tex]

I really thinking i got a bit rusty on this since mechanics lies two years in the past.

Thank you very much any help in advance.

Cheers,

Biest

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    Multiply the first equation with [itex]\sin^2\theta[/itex] and you will arrive to the wanted result.

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks.... I forgot to add one more question... What do we do when we have three geodesics? Just choose one and solve from there?

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Finding the geodesics is a really hard problem. In general you can not find a closed form solution for them. But if you have a killing field, i.e. [itex]\nabla_\alpha\,\xi_\beta+\nabla_\beta\,\xi_\alpha=0[/itex] then you have a constant along the geodesic, i.e. [itex]\xi_\alpha\,u^\alpha=C[/itex] where [itex]u^\alpha[/itex] is tangent to the geodesic.

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    I know it is hard... i had to derive the conditions for homework and was stuck on the derivative of [itex] g_{\mu \nu} [/itex] anyway. At the moment we have just done polar coordinates and the 2-sphere. and now we just moved into particle orbits, which i have to work through as well cause i am trying how the Killing vector works there. I am starting to get it, but it is taking me a while already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?