1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric optics and Fermat's principle

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ray travels as shown in the image attached below. In this case, Fermat's principle may be written as

##A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}##

Where y' is dy/dx, n is the index of refraction and A is a real constant.

The trajectory of a ray of light is given by

##y = -\frac{1}{a}## ## + \frac{A}{na}## ##\cosh{\frac{na}{A}(x-x0)}##

When the ray is observed from a height y above the x axis, it seems to come from the ground at horizontal distance d from the observer (see figure). Determine d if a(x−x0) is small. Write your answer in terms of y and a.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to work out the specific trajectory for the ray that grazes the x axis at xg. For x=xg, dy/dx is 0 and y=0, so at that point A = n. Although there is a sqrt involved, take positive n because n=c/v is always positive as far as I know.

Sub that into the second equation for y, taking y=0 again, then I got xg = x0.

So the specific trajectory of this ray would then be

##y = -\frac{1}{a}## ## + \frac{1}{a}## ##\cosh{a(x-xg)}##

Really have no clue what to do from there! I did try finding the tangent to the curve to maybe find an expression for the length of the hypotenuse, but that didn't work. So I don't know.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the eye is at coordinates (x,y) and y' represents the gradient at that point then what expression can you write for d in terms of y and y'?

If you can do that, you just need to get rid of y'. Could the Fermat formula be of any help?

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    Oh yeah! An expression such as y'2= d2+y2? Rearranged to make d the subject, then rearrange the fermat formula to make y' the subject and sub in to the d = expression, along with the given value of y!

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but not that particular expression. ##y'## is the gradient, which is the tangent of the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal. What is the relation of that to ##d## and ##y##?

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5
    Oh, ok... so tan(θ) = ##\frac{y}{d}##=##y'##? So in fact, d = y/y' then?

I don't understand why not the first expression isn't right though. Because the gradient is dy/dx, and dx at the point we're looking at is d, isn't it? I thought the hypotenuse would be represented, when squared, by ##d^2 + y^2##.
    Although I do know why dy/dx is the tan of the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  7. Oct 13, 2015 #6
    But then, if I use

##y = -\frac{1}{a}## ## + \frac{1}{a}## ##\cosh{a(x-xg)}##

Then since I've been given that a(x-xg) is small, cosh(a(x-xg)) = 1. So I'd get that y=0 and therefore d = 0, wouldn't I?

8. Oct 13, 2015 #7

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't use that, because it has x in it and you are looking for a formula for d in terms of only y and a. Try instead using the first formula in the OP:
    $$
    A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}
    $$

9. Oct 14, 2015 #8
    It does have x in it, but x disappears because I've been given that a(x-xg) is small. I know that y isn't zero! So why would I get that result?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted