1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric vs Componentwise Vector Addition

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of following sets of conditions (A - F), if true, would show that the expressions 1 and 2 above define the same vector C_vec as expressions 3 and 4?

1. The two pairs of expressions give the same length and direction for C_vec.
    2. The two pairs of expressions give the same length and x component for C_vec.
    3. The two pairs of expressions give the same direction and x component for C_vec.
    4. The two pairs of expressions give the same length and y component for C_vec.
    5. The two pairs of expressions give the same direction and y component for C_vec.
    6. The two pairs of expressions give the same x and y components for C_vec.

2. Relevant equations

1. C=\sqrt{A^2 +B^2 -2 A B \cos(c)},
    2. \phi = \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{B\sin(c)}{C}\right).
    3. C_x = A + B\cos(\theta),
    4. C_y = B\sin(\theta).

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it would be one where you knew exactly what the vector was like AF and I don't know what I'm missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't you forgotten to include something?

4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    whats the answer?

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4
    Any suggestions or answers on this problem yet? I'm having confusion on the same exact problem. I'm trying to search for help for on this problem. It seems to be a confusing one to answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?