Geometry of minkowski spacetime

In summary: In that visualization, the Lorentz transformations are simple rotations. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime curvature in General Relativity and the use of hyperbolic functions in the rotation equations of Lorentz transformations. The speaker also mentions an interactive applet that helps visualize this concept and gives a link to the applet. They also mention the difference between Minkowski space-time and space-propertime and the use of periodic boundary conditions in the visualization.
Truth_Seeker
since the first moment I've started studying the theory of relativity i thought that the minkowski metric represents a flat spacetime (a 4D euclidean space) but while I was surfing the WWW , I arrived to an interactive applet the helps you visualise the idea of spacetime curvature is GR , here it is : http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf
in this applet when i putted the "spherical mass" bar to zero , it should have given me a flat spacetime ... i can see the flatness is space but i see a curved path in time ... shouldn't it be flat in both space and time ??!

seeing this also made me remember an old question i had when i first started relativity , why do we use hyperbolic functions "sinh .. cosh ... etc" in the rotation equations of lorentz transformation instead of ordinary trigonometric functions ??

thanks in advance ...

Physics news on Phys.org
One rationalization is that the level curve of the Euclidean distance function is a circle
x² + y² = r²​
and the level curve of the Minkowski distance function is a hyperbola
x² - y² = r² or y² - x² = r²​

Of course, in the end, the right answer is "because it works".

They use a trick as they impose periodic boundary conditions in the time direction. If you start out with no mass an no initial velocity you see that you come back to the same point in space and time.

Minkowski space isn't really curved in the geometrical sense. The "weirdness" comes from the fact that it has a different signature when you compare it with a Euclidean space.

You're lucky, the author of this website (A.T.) is a member of PF. He should be the one who explains it best.

Truth_Seeker said:
since the first moment I've started studying the theory of relativity i thought that the minkowski metric represents a flat spacetime (a 4D euclidean space) but while I was surfing the WWW , I arrived to an interactive applet the helps you visualise the idea of spacetime curvature is GR , here it is : http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf
This is not Minkowski space-time (which is pseudo-Euclidean), but space-propertime (which is Euclidean). It is a slightly different type of diagram, or geometrical interpretation. Here is a simple version of it:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/relativity.swf

Truth_Seeker said:
in this applet when i putted the "spherical mass" bar to zero , it should have given me a flat spacetime ... i can see the flatness is space but i see a curved path in time ... shouldn't it be flat in both space and time ??!
A cylinder is flat in terms of intrinsic curvature. The extrinsic curvature you see doesn't affect someone living within the cylindric surface, that represents space-propertime .

However, it is important to understand about that visualization, that it is not a closed cylinder, but rather a multi layered roll of space-propertime. After each cycle you arrive at a new layer of the diagram.

Press the "Help" button for explanations.

Truth_Seeker said:
seeing this also made me remember an old question i had when i first started relativity , why do we use hyperbolic functions "sinh .. cosh ... etc" in the rotation equations of lorentz transformation instead of ordinary trigonometric functions ??
Well, that is how Minkowski space-time is defined, it is pseudo-Euclidean. That is why some things are better visualized with the Euclidean space-propertime.

1. What is Minkowski spacetime and why is it important in geometry?

Minkowski spacetime is a mathematical model that combines three dimensions of space and one dimension of time into four-dimensional spacetime. It was developed by Hermann Minkowski as an extension of Euclidean geometry. It is important in geometry because it provides a framework for understanding the geometry of spacetime, which is essential in the study of relativity.

2. How is Minkowski spacetime different from Euclidean space?

The main difference between Minkowski spacetime and Euclidean space is the inclusion of time as a fourth dimension. In Euclidean space, all four dimensions (x, y, z, and t) are treated as independent and have positive values. In Minkowski spacetime, the time dimension is represented by the imaginary number i, which allows for the inclusion of negative values and the concept of spacetime intervals.

3. What is the significance of the Minkowski metric in Minkowski spacetime?

The Minkowski metric is a mathematical tool used to calculate distances and angles in Minkowski spacetime. It is a generalization of the Pythagorean theorem and takes into account the negative time dimension. The Minkowski metric is essential in determining the geometry of Minkowski spacetime and plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity.

4. How does the geometry of Minkowski spacetime relate to the theory of relativity?

The geometry of Minkowski spacetime is closely related to the theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity. This theory states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. The geometry of Minkowski spacetime provides a mathematical framework for understanding how the laws of physics and the measurements of space and time change for different observers.

5. Can Minkowski spacetime be visualized?

Minkowski spacetime cannot be visualized in the traditional sense because it involves four dimensions, including a negative time dimension. However, it can be represented visually using mathematical diagrams and graphs. These visualizations can help in understanding the concepts of spacetime intervals, light cones, and the effects of relative motion on measurements in Minkowski spacetime.