Which Is More Crucial for a Physics Major: Geometry or Advanced Linear Algebra?

In summary: It is also more likely to improve one's mathematical ability. However, the geometry course may be more interesting if you enjoy proof-based courses. Unfortunately, you have to decide now.
tme92
Which course is more important to a physics major? Which is more likely to improve one's mathematical ability? Which is more interesting? (I haven't even had Linear Algebra I so I don't know if I like the subject.). Unfortunately, I have to decide now.

Descriptions:

Geometry

Foundations of Euclidean plane geometry. Similarity of triangles. Circumferences and trigonometric functions. Notable points of the triangle. Coordinates the plan. Structure of vector. Conics. Geometric transformations.

Linear Algebra II

Symmetric and alternating multilinear functions. Determinant function. Inner products. Orthogonal subspaces. Additional orthogonal. Orthogonal projection. Euclidean analytic geometry. Hermitian form. Diagonalization of a symmetric matrix. Orthogonal arrays. Unitary matrices. The classical groups O (n), SO (n), U (n), SU (n) for n equal to 2 or 3. Classification of quadratic forms. Method of principal minors. Jordan canonical form for matrices of order 2 and 3

Physics news on Phys.org
tme92 said:
Which course is more important to a physics major? Which is more likely to improve one's mathematical ability? Which is more interesting? (I haven't even had Linear Algebra I so I don't know if I like the subject.). Unfortunately, I have to decide now.

Descriptions:

Geometry

Foundations of Euclidean plane geometry. Similarity of triangles. Circumferences and trigonometric functions. Notable points of the triangle. Coordinates the plan. Structure of vector. Conics. Geometric transformations.

Linear Algebra II

Symmetric and alternating multilinear functions. Determinant function. Inner products. Orthogonal subspaces. Additional orthogonal. Orthogonal projection. Euclidean analytic geometry. Hermitian form. Diagonalization of a symmetric matrix. Orthogonal arrays. Unitary matrices. The classical groups O (n), SO (n), U (n), SU (n) for n equal to 2 or 3. Classification of quadratic forms. Method of principal minors. Jordan canonical form for matrices of order 2 and 3

Withou having taken Linear Algebra (a beautiful subject in its own right I might add), Linear Algebra II will be very challenging at best and impossible at worst. If your professor begins the first day assuming you're familiar with the basics of vector spaces, transformations, etc. (likely) then you're going to have a tough time to say the least.

Now, I'm a math major so I can't really speak toward its usefullness in that regard, but having a course in classical geometry under your belt is always a good thing.

Not much of a choice here. I don't know why you would even consider taking LA II without Linear Algebra I.

I didn't explain myself. I haven't yet taken Linear Algebra I but I will have when I eventually take Linear Algebra II. The course that I have to pick I will only take it six months from now.

And you have to pick it now?

Which physics courses have you already taken? You can't get very far in physics without knowing about trigonometric functions (which are listed as part of the geometry course). Have you studied trigonometry already?

I'd think linear algebra 2 would be much more useful.

And you have to pick it now?

Yes.

Which physics courses have you already taken? You can't get very far in physics without knowing about trigonometric functions (which are listed as part of the geometry course). Have you studied trigonometry already?

Of course. I studied it in high school. This geometry course is a university level course. I don't think I'll be exposed to a lot of new concepts; I suppose it will be a proof-based course.

The geometry course sounds really boring, maybe you should find out the text they use and see if it really worth taking at all.

Linear algebra is definitely more useful, it is used everywhere in science and engineering. Even it says it is linear algebra 2, the topics covered doesn't sound too difficult, it all depends on what is expected of you and how it is taught. The best way to judge is again find out the text they use and see if you are capable to take it.

chingkui said:
Linear algebra is definitely more useful, it is used everywhere in science and engineering. Even it says it is linear algebra 2, the topics covered doesn't sound too difficult, it all depends on what is expected of you and how it is taught. The best way to judge is again find out the text they use and see if you are capable to take it.
How can he possibly be the judge of that if he hasn't yet taken Linear Algebra I and has to decide before taking it?!

Linear algebra will be very Important to you in physics,, and it's better to be exposed to it in a separate course than to learn about it in physics courses,, also most of the proofs in it are very straight forward

At my university Linear Algebra II is required for the physics degree.

I started my physics major this year and I am taking linear 1 i love it. I vote linear algebra all the way. you can teach yourself geometry.

LinAl 2

1. What is the difference between geometry and linear algebra?

Geometry is the study of shapes and their properties, while linear algebra is the study of linear equations and their solutions. Geometry deals with physical objects and their measurements, while linear algebra deals with abstract mathematical concepts.

2. How are geometry and linear algebra used in real life?

Geometry is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and art, where knowledge of shapes and their properties is essential. Linear algebra is used in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics, where it is used to solve complex mathematical problems involving linear equations.

3. What are some practical applications of geometry and linear algebra?

Geometry is used in everyday tasks such as measuring objects, building structures, and navigation. Linear algebra is used in computer graphics, machine learning, and cryptography, among other applications.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in geometry before studying linear algebra?

While a basic understanding of geometry can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong foundation in geometry before studying linear algebra. Linear algebra is a distinct branch of mathematics and can be studied independently.

5. How can I improve my understanding of geometry and linear algebra?

Practice, practice, practice! Both geometry and linear algebra require a lot of problem-solving and critical thinking, so the best way to improve your understanding is to work through exercises and problems regularly. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.