George Carlin Dies at 71 | Celebrating a Lasting Legacy

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: George Carlin was a comedic genius...although I couldn't stand his stand up. :(In summary, George Carlin died today at age 71, of heart failure. He was known for his routines on topics such as religion, politics, and comedy.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow. George Carlin died today at age 71, of heart failure.

I remember my brother had a recording of his "Dirty Words" routine - so shocking at the time! Yet it would seem quite mild to today's youth.

RIP, George!

Physics news on Phys.org
Although raised in the Roman Catholic faith, Carlin has often denounced the idea of God in interviews and performances, most notably with his "Invisible Man in the Sky" and "There Is No God" routines. In mockery, he invented the parody religion Frisbeetarianism for a newspaper contest. He defined it as the belief that when a person dies "his soul gets flung onto a roof, and just stays there", and cannot be retrieved.

Carlin has joked that he worships the Sun, because he can actually see it, but prays to Joe Pesci (a good friend of his in real life) because "he's a good actor", and "looks like a guy who can get things done!"[39]

Carlin also introduced the "Two Commandments", a revised "pocket-sized" list of the Ten Commandments in his HBO special Complaints and Grievances, ending with the additional commandment of "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself."[40]

Yay Carlin!

Wow, sad to see him go. RIP George.

No. uuuhhh... no. what just happened again?

RIP George!

Sure glad that we took the opertunity to see him live last fall. A great man who shared much wisdom in his humor.

awww, I loved him so much in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

p.s. hey, God, he was just kidding. Go easy on him, k thanks bye. :)

Math Is Hard said:
awww, I loved him so much in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I hate to admit it, but I loved Bill and Ted.

p.s. hey, God, he was just kidding. Go easy on him, k thanks bye. :)

John Edward channelling Carlin: "I am seeing the letter F...again, and again, and again..."

Last edited:
I was away from media all day yesterday, so wakeing up to this news has made me very sad. RIP Mr Carlin.

Some of his best work appeared near the end of his life imo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwwww... And my bro and I were just making a Carlin joke earlier today.

Bye George.

A Place For My Stuff was one of my all-time favourite routines of his. He's the sort of performer, for some reason, I didn't ever imagine wouldn't be around.

Sad news.

Oh, horrible to hear this. I was looking forward to hearing his latest act too. I love his routines...truly timeless jokes that get to the core of what society is all about. It's easy to write topical jokes, but takes real talent to do what he did and write jokes that remain relevant across generations.

I remember him from 30+ years ago, and my kids grew up with him, as Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station.

He was a great social critic.

Thanks, George, RIP.

I loved his "hippie-dippy weatherman" routine from 'way back. He'll be missed.

Carlin wasn't only hilarious, but very insightful too. That's what I loved about him. No other comedian can tell it like it is the way Carlin did.

Here's a nugget from one of his more recent HBO specials, which I'd already posted in the Favorite Quotes thread:
"I could never understand ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own -- not something that happens by accident of birth."

And on a more humorous note:
"Hello, my name is George Carlin, and I am a professional comedian. As opposed to the kind you see at work all day long."

RIP, George.

When he was on his game, he was the best. Adios, brother! You will be missed.

And he was just chosen to receive the 2008 http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/marktwain/" .

George Carlin was a very funny guy. (Seven words that got past the obsenity filter)

morphism said:
Here's a nugget from one of his more recent HBO specials, which I'd already posted in the Favorite Quotes thread:
"I could never understand ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own -- not something that happens by accident of birth."
I think listening to him for much of my life must have had a profound effect.
When people ask me; "What the hell do you mean you ain't proud to be an American?"
Om; "hmmmm... Stating such would imply that, say I'd been born in Mexico, I should be ashamed. Let me ask you a question; Are you proud to have 5 fingers on each of your hands? What's that? You don't understand the question? ...hmmmmm..."
RIP, George.

ditto.

Oh god.

R.I.P

I wonder what he would of said about peoples reaction to his death. :(

WOW! Not something I was expecting to see today. Sad to see him go, great comedian. RIP

I couldn't believe it this morning when I read that he had died. I remember watching him on the Smother's Brothers show, he was so different and refreshing.

He will be missed

Ivan Seeking said:
John Edward channelling Carlin: "I am seeing the letter F...again, and again, and again..."

:smile: :smile: :smile:

GeorginaS said:
A Place For My Stuff was one of my all-time favourite routines of his. He's the sort of performer, for some reason, I didn't ever imagine wouldn't be around.

Sad news.

Here is a reaonably clean version of Carlin's "My Stuff" (the S**T word is used)

I absolutely could not believe that when W got up this morning and saw the news of Carlin's death, she said, "Who's that?" I handed her my 'Toledo Window Box' album, and she still didn't recognize him. I'm definitely playing the link that Edward posted tonight when I'm done work.
It was also very cool that Jeff Hutchison, who is the 'Canada AM' weather man, comic, and field reporter played Carlin's 'Hippy Dippy Weatherman' bit as a tribute this morning.

I just put Carlin up there in the top five, along Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, and the like. Thats exactly my kind of humor.

Hes not just good, he's damn good.

Last edited:
He was that, Cyrus, and even more too. He wasn't just funny, he was incisively insightful. His was smart, intelligent comedy. And man, could he make me laugh!

I still can't believe he's gone.

He was one of the greats and will be missed. Rest in peace.

Damn, had no net connection for 2 days now, and the news was not even in the local papers! I had no idea whatsoever.

George Carlin was and still is my all time favorite stand up comedian, and I have seen a few. I loved the way he talked, fast and smooth. Most importantly, he always made me go, "now why didn't I think of it like that"? Always chose intelligent topics. I particularly loved "The invisible man up in the sky" gig.

He is immortal, Carlin forever.

A true legend, R.I.P .