Geothermal heat pump water heater

In summary: If you are looking to use the HVAC for cooling, you will need to consult with a professional. You could also install a evaporative cooler.
GaryS
I am about to pour a concrete floor in an addition to my basement (about 13' x 24'). This room is adjacent to my electric water heater. I have bought a 9500 btu R-22 compressor which I plan to use to replace the electric element in my 50 gallon water heater. The condenser is the water heater tank where I have shoved about 50 feet of 3/8" copper tubing inside. The evaporator will be 3/8" copper tubing buried in the concrete floor.

Has anyone tried this before? How much tubing is enough for proper heat transfer? How should I circuit the tubing? Once the concrete is poured, my design will be "set in stone"!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't specifically answer YOUR question, but I'm interested in the answers you might get.

But - I had a question for you... have you thought about putting an evaporator coil in your HVAC so that in the summer you can use the power for heating your water to also cool your house?? You might need a crossover valve to switch it in the winter so that it gets the heat from the concrete rather than the house air, but at least for half the year you're getting a benefit with a one-time cost.

Are you putting the evap coils IN the concrete or UNDER the concrete? Have you also thought about how cold the floor will get and if that might present a comfort issue?

I am somewhat concerned about the floor being cold. It will probably sweat in the summer. If it's too much of a problem I could still go back to resistance heat for water heating.

My current thinking is to enclose the copper tubing inside an antifreeze filled pvc pipe and have it inside the concrete. The concrete might crack but the tubing will be safe. The concrete is a better thermal conductor than dirt.

We don't use the HVAC much. Only on a few hot days in the summer

Theres really no way to answer your questions with the information you provided. The temperature at 12-20 feet into the ground is still going to have a significant temperature change just like the surface. Most geothermal cooling/heating systems operate with much deeper wells.

What is a geothermal heat pump water heater?

A geothermal heat pump water heater is a type of water heating system that uses the natural heat from the Earth's core to heat water for residential or commercial use. It works by extracting heat from the ground through a series of pipes and transferring it to a heat exchanger, which then heats the water for household use.

How does a geothermal heat pump water heater work?

A geothermal heat pump water heater uses a closed-loop system of pipes buried underground to extract heat from the Earth. The pipes are filled with a water and antifreeze mixture, which is circulated through the system by a pump. As the fluid circulates, it absorbs heat from the ground and carries it to a heat exchanger, where it is used to heat the water for household use. The now-cooled fluid is then pumped back underground to be reheated.

What are the benefits of using a geothermal heat pump water heater?

There are several benefits to using a geothermal heat pump water heater, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and environmental friendliness. Because the system uses the natural heat from the Earth, it requires less energy to heat water compared to traditional water heaters. This can result in lower energy bills for homeowners. Additionally, geothermal heat pump water heaters produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions, making them a more environmentally-friendly option.

Are geothermal heat pump water heaters expensive to install?

The initial cost of installing a geothermal heat pump water heater may be higher than traditional water heaters. However, over time, the energy savings and reduced maintenance costs can make up for the initial investment. Additionally, there may be tax incentives and rebates available for installing energy-efficient systems, making the cost more affordable.

Do geothermal heat pump water heaters require a lot of maintenance?

Geothermal heat pump water heaters require less maintenance compared to traditional water heaters. Because they do not have as many mechanical or electrical components, there is less chance of malfunctions or breakdowns. However, it is still important to have regular maintenance check-ups to ensure the system is running efficiently and to make any necessary repairs.