DIY Heat Exchanger: Efficiently Heat Your Garage with Homemade Solution

In summary, the author is looking to make a heat exchanger to reduce the amount of over-treated water from their wood boiler that circulates through a water jacket and be used to heat an adequately treated fluid. They are looking to use old air conditioner coils and place them inside of a water jacket. The calculated amount of heat to maintain a certain temperature in the boiler at design outdoor temperature is unknown, but the circulating pump is shut down when not in use or when the boiler water temperature is below a setpoint. The heat source for the proposed heat exchanger is unknown, but it is likely either the boiler or an electric heating element from a water heater. The author has previously made calculations on a previous heating thread, but they
lurch85
Looking to make a heat exchanger so that I can have a less than adequately antifreeze treated water (easily over 750 gallons, so very expensive) from the outdoor wood boiler constantly circulating through a water jacket, and heat an adequately treated fluid (glycol treated water) and can turn the circulating pumps off to the garage, which contains underfloor (concrete) and some modine style hot water to air heat exchangers.
my plan is to use some old air conditioner coils and place inside a water jacket.
assume the radiator coils to be 3/8 diameter spaced 2 inches apart with a 2 inch square of aluminum per 1/8 inch of length.
thickness of tubing and aluminum fins unknown at this time and I'm hoping negligible (make your own assumptions if you would)
would like to see the math for anyone that feels up to it.

im hoping to get an answer in the form of something like (x btu per foot of tubing with 10 gallon per minute of water supply (to the both the water jacket and heating coils in the garage)and at a temperature difference of 150 degrees)

feel free to change, ask questions, or add anything you may see as far as variables go... Adding as much information as I can think of to make it easier

If questions are asked, I will add to the original question as needed and make additions in bold/underlined and red

respectfully submitted

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
lurch85 said:
less than adequately antifreeze treated water from the outdoor wood boiler constantly circulating through a water jacket
Why not treat this boiler water (to -40°F, or whatever is appropriate) instead? If flow is lost through pump failure, or power outage, this is the loop most prone to freezing.

unfortunately I would have to treat 750 plus gallons of fluid... cost prohibitive

Some thoughts and questions:

Water with a low concentration of antifreeze will turn into slush at low temperatures. This could be enough protection.

What is the calculated amount of heat to maintain 35 deg F in the boiler at design outdoor temperature?

Is the circulating pump shut down when not in use, or when the boiler water temperature is below some setpoint?

What is the heat source for your proposed heat exchanger?

Have you considered an electric heating element from a water heater?

Where exactly is this heat exchanger going to be?
Did something in your system break since last time?: Garage heating (Dec 21, 2015)
Or are you just now getting around to thinking about building it?

ps. I think if you ask politely, you can get an old locked thread reopened. It looks like a lot of people did a lot of maths for you back then.

The idea is to keep the circulating pump to the water jacket of the heat exchanger going 24/7
The other idea is to save would not having to heat an area 40 by 60 by 14 when it is 10゚ below 0 , and to be able to heat the garage in a few hours .
The idea of the heat exchanger only came after I had a Propane boiler Installed in my basement toSupplement and backup the wood boiler system. They use a pressurized 12PSI system for the Propane a boiler side, going through the heat exchanger, and then The other side being the boiler and a low (open actually)pressure. Only then did I come up with the idea of having such a system for the garage .
As for previous Calculations on the previous heating thread , my math is not that great and had trouble converting the formulas over to what I wanted to do.
I also didn't know calculations for going from water to water through metal versus water to air .This also gave me a new starting point on how to think of this, because, honestly, I got pretty confused with the last one

Also directing information as to heat input/output of the heat exchangers/modines. As long as the beat echangers can keep hp to the modines i build. I can build more modines easily.. the heat echanger a kittle tougher, so easier to start too big.

1. What is a homemade heat exchanger?

A homemade heat exchanger is a device that is used to transfer heat from one fluid to another. It consists of two or more fluids flowing through separate channels, allowing heat to be transferred between them without mixing the fluids.

2. How does a homemade heat exchanger work?

A homemade heat exchanger works by utilizing the principle of heat transfer through conduction. The two fluids flow through separate channels, and when they come into contact with each other, heat is transferred from the hotter fluid to the cooler fluid. This process continues until both fluids reach the same temperature.

3. What materials can be used to make a homemade heat exchanger?

There are several materials that can be used to make a homemade heat exchanger, such as copper, aluminum, stainless steel, and even plastic. The key is to choose a material that is good at conducting heat and is also compatible with the fluids being used.

4. What are the benefits of using a homemade heat exchanger?

There are several benefits to using a homemade heat exchanger. First, it can be a cost-effective alternative to purchasing a pre-made heat exchanger. Additionally, it allows for customization and experimentation with different materials and designs. It also promotes sustainability by reusing materials and reducing energy consumption.

5. What are some common applications of a homemade heat exchanger?

A homemade heat exchanger can be used in a variety of applications, such as in solar water heaters, air conditioning systems, and home brewing equipment. It can also be used in industrial processes, such as in chemical plants or power plants, to transfer heat between different fluids.