German Electric Train Starts Singing: Is It True?

In summary, some people believe that trains that play music are actually singing Tesla coils. The sound is created by the trains vibrating their coils, and some people think it's really cool. However, I couldn't listen to the entire video and still think it's real, because the trains in the video all sound the same.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Possibly.

Some electric model aircraft speed controllers play tones/ beeps by vibrating the armature to indicate the state of programmable features.

:smile: Yes indeed charming. And with electronic controls, very believable.

Changing the frequency of firing rates as a function of speed is like shifting gears in a transmission.

I imagine that an alien from a world with only electric drives would be charmed by the sounds of a Harley accelerating. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Is it true?

Montreal subways play a pleasant four note sequence on starting. Well, in mid 80's they did. Sigh, seems like only yesterday.
Of course they're way smaller machines.

So yes i believe it's real...

I'm still not convinced. I've watched several other videos of the train, and although the notes do change, they are all monotonic. Either someone has "layered" the sound track in a clever way, or someone has added an acoustic system to augment the trains natural tones. In either case, I think it is a pleasant effect, and if not real, it should be added to all electric commuter trains.

Our local e-commuter train used to routinely run over people when it first went into service.
It's name quickly evolved from MAX(Metro Area eXpress) to Mad Max.

Actually, listening to the following, I just realized that if two trains were leaving at once, it might create the same effect. But I think the timing would have to be perfect to get them to make harmonious music, as in Dave's video.

Eisenbahn Musik - Taurus Tonleiter - Musical Train Engines
Published on Jun 18, 2013
Taurus Tonleiter - Lokomotive macht Musik
E-Lok Baureihe 182 der DB
ÖBB BR 1016 1116
Siemens ES64U2 - Elektrolokomotive Abfahrt
Musical Train Engines - Electric Locomotive
Sound noises
Zuggeräusche Eisenbahn Taurus

ps. If anyone is really bored, you can watch the following.
14 ½ minutes of listening to LOTS of these trains leave the station.

I could only make it through the first 3 minutes.

Likes jim hardy
I thought i'd seen it all...
Singing Tesla Coils ?

Likes DaveC426913 and Merlin3189

Related to German Electric Train Starts Singing: Is It True?

1. Is the German electric train actually able to sing?

Yes, the German electric train has been programmed to produce musical sounds, giving the impression that it is singing.

2. What technology is used to make the train "sing"?

The train is equipped with a sound system that plays pre-programmed musical tracks. It also has sensors that detect the train's speed and movements to synchronize the music with its actions.

3. Who created the singing German electric train?

The train was created by a team of engineers and designers from a German train manufacturing company.

4. How long has the train been able to "sing"?

The first singing German electric train was introduced in 2018, and it has been in operation since then.

5. Can the train sing different songs or is it always the same tune?

The train has a variety of songs programmed into its system, and it can be changed depending on the route or event it is being used for. However, it may also have a default tune that it uses regularly.