Getting ahead in Maths and Physics

• Thread starter jpling3714
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker went through a phase of struggling in Math and Science classes during their MS/9th grade year. However, in 10th grade they discovered a love for Math and Physics and began studying and excelling in those subjects. They even started helping their girlfriend with AP Calculus homework. Despite this, they are still in HS Geometry and find it boring. They are wondering if it's possible for them to jump ahead to PreCalc/Calc next year or if it's too late to catch up. The responder suggests exploring deeper into their current subjects and possibly joining a math Olympiad team for enjoyment and challenge.
jpling3714
I spent most of my MS/9th grade year failing Math and Science classes, I thought I was the worst at those subjects. However during the 10th grade I figured out that I actually love Math and Physics, so I started reading, and studying, and before I knew it, I was plowing through Calc and Physics Textbooks and helping my girlfriend (Who is in AP Calculus at the time) with her homework, but I am still in HS Geometry, and that I find that class very boring. Is it possible for me to jump up to PreCalc/Calc next year? or is it too late for me to get ahead in math.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could instead try to get a deeper understanding of the subjects you are in already. Maybe look into if your school have a math Olympiad team and you will find enjoyment in solving hard problems from those.

Thread should be in the academic advice subforum also I believe.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Math and Physics?

There are several ways to improve your problem-solving skills in Math and Physics. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in the basics, such as algebra and trigonometry. Practice solving different types of problems and challenge yourself with more difficult ones. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing formulas. Finally, seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources when you encounter difficulties.

2. What are some effective study strategies for Math and Physics?

To excel in Math and Physics, it is important to have a consistent and organized study routine. Set aside dedicated study time each day and review material regularly. Practice solving problems and take notes to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, try to visualize concepts and relate them to real-world applications. Collaborating with peers and seeking help from teachers can also be beneficial.

3. How can I stay motivated and interested in studying Math and Physics?

One way to stay motivated in studying Math and Physics is to find a personal connection or interest in the subject. Think about how these subjects relate to your future career goals or hobbies. Also, set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. It can also help to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and reward yourself when you understand each part.

4. What resources can I use to supplement my learning in Math and Physics?

There are many resources available to supplement your learning in Math and Physics. Online platforms such as Khan Academy and Coursera offer free courses and tutorials on various topics. You can also find textbooks, study guides, and practice problems from your local library or online. Additionally, attend review sessions, join study groups, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

5. How can I apply my knowledge in Math and Physics to real-world problems?

Math and Physics are used in many different fields, including engineering, medicine, and economics. To apply your knowledge to real-world problems, it is important to understand the principles and concepts behind the formulas and equations. Look for opportunities to solve problems or create models using your knowledge. You can also seek internships or participate in research projects related to your interests to see how Math and Physics are applied in the real world.