Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting hammered is one thing

1. May 7, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040505/480/la10205051748&e=1&ncid=1756

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2004 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

4. May 7, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

There are some contraversial pictures in British tabloids about medical staff leaving instruments in patients, including a pair of scissors in one woman.

5. May 8, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard about the woman with the scissors; she complained about the pain but her complaints were dismissed.

I wonder if this guy can now hear radio stations in his head?

When Tsu and I both worked in mobile imaging, some WWI vet entered a mobile MRI unit and had the 1918 vintage pins removed from his leg by the 1.0+ Tesla field, of the 1981 vintage NMR - now called MRI. Apparently the stainless was of such low quality that it was significantly ferromagnetic.

6. May 8, 2004 #5
    Ouch

On Ripley's museum I saw this metal pole penetrate a guy's skull and he miraculously survived.

7. May 8, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

Woah, that's a little harsh to show people!!! I bet he doesnt do many repeat performances :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

8. May 8, 2004 #7
    It sounds like you may be referring to the story of Phineas Gage. He was a railway worker that was standing over an accidental explosion that sent a tamping iron through his skull in 1848. This incident had a huge influence of the birth of biopsychology because Gage's personailty was drastically different after the accident.

Here's a good place for info: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hbs/GAGEPAGE/index.htm

9. May 9, 2004 #8
    Magnetic stainless isn't low quality, it's just a particular kind of stainless. Very common, too. Most of your silverware is probably magnetic stainless. I love stainless steel.

Anyway. It says in the article Tsunami linked to that one of the nails got his Wernicke's area, and now his speech is affected. What bothers me is it looks like the same nail went in all the way to his limbic system. I can't imagine this poor guy isn't going to start having seizures eventually, and possibly personality alterations, since the limic system is where emotions are orchestrated. That was really quite an awkward, ugly accident, that he fell on a guy holding a nail gun.

10. May 9, 2004 #9
    Yes, the name rings a bell; that must be him. Thanks Jenn

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  11. May 9, 2004 #10
    Geez... That many nails. Its a good thing he didn't die.

12. May 9, 2004 #11
    It reminds me of surgeons who unintentionally forgets surgical instruments while operating on their patients. Double ouch.

13. May 10, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It yanked them out through the skin??? Wow!! :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?