Getting Power from Voltage and Current

In summary, to calculate the cost of charging the automotive battery, you need to find the total energy required, which can be obtained by taking the integral of the power equation with a constant current of 3 A and a changing voltage of 10 + t/2 V. Then, you can multiply this energy by the electricity cost of $0.12 per kilowatt-hour. The final cost will depend on the specific values used in the calculation.
Temp0

Homework Statement

A constant current of 3 A for 4 hours is required to charge an automotive
battery, and the battery's terminal voltage is v(t) = 10 + t/2 V, where t is in hours.
Assuming an electricity cost $0.12 per KWh, what is the cost to charge the battery?

Homework Equations

p(t) = i(t)v(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just thought that I could multiply current (3A) with the voltage (10 + 4h/2)V and get power in watts, which would be 36W. I divide 36 by 1000, 0.036kW, and then I multiply that by the cost ($0.12/kWh) to get some number/h, and then multiply that number by 4 hours to get the cost to charge the battery. However, this isn't giving me the right answer, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electricity cost is metered by the total amount of energy charged into the battery (Notice: the price of electricity is $0.12 per kilowatt-hour).

You have a changing voltage as the battery charges but a constant current input. What would be the total energy required to charge the battery according to the info in the OP?

Likes 1 person
Well, I know that energy is the integral of p(t), so would I take the integral with the lower limit being 0 and upper limit being 4, and then multiply that number by the cost of electricity?

yes.

Alright, thanks a lot for your help. Just to clarify, I took $0.012/kWh, multiplied it by 1kWh/3600000J, and then I got $number/J, and then I calculated for the amount of joules using the integral of my power equation, substituting in 4 for time, and multiplied that number by the price of electricity/joules.

What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge. It is often described as the "pressure" or "force" that pushes electric charges through a circuit.

What is current?

Current is the rate of flow of electric charge. It is measured in amperes (A) and represents the amount of charge passing through a given point in a circuit per unit time.

How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa, as long as the resistance in the circuit remains constant.

How can I calculate power from voltage and current?

Power can be calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current (P = VI). This is known as Ohm's Law, which states that the power dissipated in a circuit is directly proportional to the product of voltage and current.

What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) power refer to the direction of flow of electric charge in a circuit. AC power alternates direction periodically, while DC power flows in only one direction. Most household outlets provide AC power, while batteries and solar panels provide DC power.