1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting Power from Voltage and Current

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A constant current of 3 A for 4 hours is required to charge an automotive
    battery, and the battery's terminal voltage is v(t) = 10 + t/2 V, where t is in hours.
    Assuming an electricity cost $0.12 per KWh, what is the cost to charge the battery?

2. Relevant equations
    p(t) = i(t)v(t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I just thought that I could multiply current (3A) with the voltage (10 + 4h/2)V and get power in watts, which would be 36W. I divide 36 by 1000, 0.036kW, and then I multiply that by the cost ($0.12/kWh) to get some number/h, and then multiply that number by 4 hours to get the cost to charge the battery. However, this isn't giving me the right answer, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The electricity cost is metered by the total amount of energy charged into the battery (Notice: the price of electricity is $0.12 per kilowatt-hour).

You have a changing voltage as the battery charges but a constant current input. What would be the total energy required to charge the battery according to the info in the OP?

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3
    Well, I know that energy is the integral of p(t), so would I take the integral with the lower limit being 0 and upper limit being 4, and then multiply that number by the cost of electricity?

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jan 26, 2014 #5
    Alright, thanks alot for your help. Just to clarify, I took $0.012/kWh, multiplied it by 1kWh/3600000J, and then I got $number/J, and then I calculated for the amount of joules using the integral of my power equation, substituting in 4 for time, and multiplied that number by the price of electricity/joules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted