Getting Residues Complex Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the residue of a complex function, specifically the function f(z)=\frac{1}{(z^{2}-1)^{2}} in the region 0<|z-1|<2. The formula for the residue is given and it is explained how to obtain the derivative needed to find the residue. The use of the Laurent series to find the residue is also mentioned.
cathode-ray
Hi everyone!

I still didn't fully understand how to get the residues of a complex function. For example the function [tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{(z^{2}-1)^{2}}[/tex] in the region [tex]0<|z-1|<2[/tex] has a pole of order 2. So the residue of f(z) in 1 should be given by the limit:

[tex]\lim_{z \to 1}(z-1)^{2}f(z)=1/4 [/tex]​

But when I get the Laurent serie:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} (-1)^{n+1}n\frac{(z-1)^{n-3}}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]​

i don't know how to get the residue directly from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

The formula for the residue of a function at [itex]z_0[/itex], a pole of order [itex]n[/itex] is:

[tex] res(f;z_0) = \lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}} (z-z_0)^n f(z) [/tex]

Here the factorial term is just 1! = 1. So what we need is the derivative of [itex](z-z_0)^2 f(z) [/itex].

So we get:
[tex] \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \frac{d}{dz} \frac{1}{(z+1)^2} = \lim_{z\rightarrow z_0} \frac{-(2z+2)}{(z+1)^4} = -\frac{1}{4} [/tex]

Now since you have the Laurent series (I didn't check this), you can pull the residue right off the series. The residue of a function at a point [itex]z_0[/itex] is the coefficient of the term [itex](z-z_0)^{-1}[/itex] in its Laurent series expansion around [itex]z_0[/itex].

The way you have written the expansion means that that term is when n=2.

So the residue is the coefficient of the term when n=2, which is
[tex] \frac {(-1)^{2+1} (2)}{2^{2+1}} = -\frac{1}{4} [/tex]

Thanks! Your explanation really helped me. Now it makes sense.

1. What is "Getting Residues Complex Analysis"?

"Getting Residues Complex Analysis" is a technique used in mathematics and physics to evaluate integrals involving complex functions. It involves finding residues, which are the values of a function at its singular points, and using them to calculate the integral.

2. Why is "Getting Residues Complex Analysis" important?

"Getting Residues Complex Analysis" is important because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is also a powerful tool for solving problems in physics and engineering, as many physical systems can be described using complex functions.

3. How is "Getting Residues Complex Analysis" used in research?

"Getting Residues Complex Analysis" is used in research to solve complex integrals that arise in many different fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is also used to study the behavior of complex functions and to analyze physical systems that involve complex numbers.

4. What are the steps involved in "Getting Residues Complex Analysis"?

The first step in "Getting Residues Complex Analysis" is to identify the singular points of the given function. Then, the residues at these points are calculated using specific formulas. Finally, the residues are used to evaluate the integral using the Residue Theorem.

5. What are some common challenges faced when using "Getting Residues Complex Analysis"?

Some common challenges when using "Getting Residues Complex Analysis" include identifying the singular points of a function, calculating the residues correctly, and correctly applying the Residue Theorem. It can also be challenging to visualize and understand the behavior of complex functions, making it difficult to determine the appropriate approach for solving a problem.