Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting started in electronics for non-EEs? Basics?

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Hello gang. [I used the search but couldn't find much except for recommendations for Horowitz's Art of Electronics, so I apologize in advance if I missed a similar thread somewhere]

I realized that my knowledge of electronics, circuits, and the like is appallingly bad for someone who claims to want to be a scientist. I took a few basic E&M courses in my physics major, so I can read really simple circuits and understand some basic concepts but I can't solder, read 'real' diagrams, or build my own stuff. I have a summer to burn and I'd like to get myself up to speed on some of this stuff. I looked at the toolbox thread, so I have a rough idea of what some of the parts I need would be and a place to get them, I suppose I'm just looking for a book explaining the basics of building and understanding electronics or one with some good beginner-level projects. If anyone could give me some advice or point me to a similar thread, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2
  4. May 15, 2010 #3
    I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/Zap-Experiments-Electrical-Currents-Fields/dp/0867204826". Its an excellent book to get hands-on experience with various experiments. The labs are exciting , and you will feel like you accomplished something by the time you go through it. It is used for intro phys lab courses in physics in MIT and Caltech. You will like this book as a physics major, and get a good exposure to basic EE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.digitalblggr.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook