Getting the particular solution of this differential equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients. The solution involves finding the particular solution, which is a combination of exponential functions, and using the characteristic equation to solve for the coefficients. The conversation also mentions a helpful technique for dealing with multiple variables in the solution.
FocusedWolf

Homework Statement

y''-2y'-3y=-3t*e^(-t)

Homework Equations

Has to be done with method of undetermined coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

the chacteristic equation is: c1*e^(3t) + c2*e^(-t)

my attempt at Yp is (a*t+b)*e^(-t)... so you that's not it. i tried many versions and i keep on getting a = 3t/4.

the book has the answer as y=c1*e^(3t) + c2*e^(-t)+(3/16)*t*e^(-t)+(3/8)*t^2*e^(-t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your homogeneous equation has a solution that is of the form of one of your terms in the particular solution. I suggest a similar guess, with a tweak.

Since e3t is already a solution to the homogeneous equation, you need to multiply your first "guess" by t.

thx i successfully got the answer. At first i tried to get that to work, but then it came to the part where you got to solve for like 3 variables, like a, b, and t... and while glancing over to my calculus book, which has a better writup on differential equation then my differential equation book lol, i saw how you had to deal with this by equating the coeffecients. i don't remember this problem i posted about but it was like you had to separate it where t(a + b) + (a - b) = 3t. and did a + b = 3, and a - b = 0, and solve for a and b that way. it's interesting that that even works cause my ti89 can't do it, which is shocking lol

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and predict their behavior.

What does it mean to "get the particular solution" of a differential equation?

Getting the particular solution of a differential equation means finding a specific function that satisfies the equation and any given initial conditions. This solution is unique for a given set of initial conditions.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

Why is finding the particular solution important?

Finding the particular solution allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system over time. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in the system and how they affect each other.

Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Differential equations can be solved both analytically, using mathematical techniques to find a closed-form solution, and numerically, using computational methods to approximate a solution. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.