My Battle with the Windy Rhode Island Coastline

• Thread starter Davephaelon
  • Start date
In summary, a video of a 'ghost' swing in Rhode Island has gone viral, with claims that there was no wind present. However, the explanation is likely that the 'ghost' swing has a larger surface area and is catching more wind. The surrounding area is known to be very windy, making the claim of no wind doubtful. The video seems to be a ploy for attention and views, rather than an actual ghost sighting.
Davephaelon
I got a laugh out of this video of a so-called ghost swing in Rhode Island. The explanation, almost certainly, is that the 'ghost' swing has a much larger surface area than the other two swings, and is just catching more of the wind. Notice that the middle swing is also moving, but the camera moves too fast to determine if the right most swing is also moving. In the video it's claimed that there is no wind, but the overcast sky suggests there is some amount of wind. If the date was known, the wind speed for that day and location could be determined.

http://turnto10.com/news/local/warwick-ghost-swing-video-goes-viral-07-11-2016

Having lived nearby on Cape Cod for decades, I know this region is very windy, in fact one of the windiest locations in the nation. Pedaling to work on my bike for many years, partly alongside the ocean, I constantly had to battle the prevailing Southwest wind, but got a nice boost on the way home.

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
Davephaelon said:
Having lived nearby on Cape Cod for decades, I know this region is very windy, in fact one of the windiest locations in the nation. Pedaling to work on my bike for many years, partly alongside the ocean, I constantly had to battle the prevailing Southwest wind, but got a nice boost on the way home.
Oh man! that would be the first ocean front beach in the world to have "no wind" for more than a few moments, just goes to show what people will claim eh? I'd rate that one as a hunt for "fb likes or views. This would be one for somewhere between Russ's "News fails" thread and the "lame jokes" thread. :smile: I think maybe the guy was reading a lot of Stephen King.

Davephaelon said:
The explanation, almost certainly, is that the 'ghost' swing has a much larger surface area than the other two swings, and is just catching more of the wind.
If I were there, I wouldn't even have remarked it, it's so obvious what is happening. I think it was the kids who must have been baffled and gave the father the idea to make a "ghost" video.

I guess I should post a video of the 'ghost hosta' on my front lawn. One leaf, flopping like a flag, while the rest of the plant is still.
Mysssstery!

What is "My Battle with the Windy Rhode Island Coastline" about?

"My Battle with the Windy Rhode Island Coastline" is a personal account of my experiences and struggles while living on the windy coastline of Rhode Island. It details the challenges I faced with the strong winds and how I learned to adapt and overcome them.

How did you cope with the strong winds in Rhode Island?

Coping with the strong winds in Rhode Island was not easy. I had to make adjustments to my daily routine and learn to secure my belongings to prevent them from blowing away. I also had to invest in wind-resistant materials and clothing to protect myself from the harsh winds.

Did you face any dangers while living on the windy coastline?

Yes, there were definitely some dangers associated with living on the windy coastline. The strong winds could easily knock down trees and power lines, causing power outages and potential hazards. I also had to be extra cautious when walking or driving, as the winds could make it difficult to maintain balance and control.

How did your experience on the windy coastline change your perspective on nature?

Living on the windy coastline definitely gave me a newfound appreciation for the power of nature. I learned to respect the forces of wind and how it can greatly impact our daily lives. It also made me more aware of the importance of preserving our environment and protecting it from potential dangers.

What advice would you give to someone living on a windy coastline?

My advice to someone living on a windy coastline would be to always be prepared for strong winds and have a plan in place for securing your belongings and protecting yourself. It's also important to have a backup power source in case of power outages. And most importantly, learn to appreciate the beauty of the windy coastline and embrace its challenges.

Back