Giant Crystal Cave Comes to Light

In summary, the conversation is about a crystal cave that was discovered in Mexico. The conversation includes excitement and desire to visit the cave, but also mentions concerns about the temperature and necessary equipment to explore it. The size of the crystals is also a topic of discussion.
hypatia
070409-crystal-cave.jpg

This was just the coolest thing I have ever seen. I'd love to go there and see it in person.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070409-crystal-cave.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Awesome Patty, thanks for sharing

Wow! I'd like to stumble onto a tourmaline pocket like that.

That was great hypatia, thanks! I don't think I'll visit, they've cooled the cave down to 122 F from 136F. The crystals need the high temps to survive.

But Evo, we could use the sisterhood coolant suits!

hypatia said:
But Evo, we could use the sisterhood coolant suits!
The new bulletproof coolant suits are deafeningly loud in operation and can only be used in conjunction with the cone of silence. Hardly a portable set-up.

Darned compressors! I'll try to find quieter ones that don't weight 50# each.

Wow, just goes to show the importance of scale in these pictures, if that man wasn't there I'd think I were looking down a microscope. Or maybe that man is a really small midget.

What is the Giant Crystal Cave?

The Giant Crystal Cave, also known as the Cave of the Crystals, is a cave located in the Naica Mine in Chihuahua, Mexico. It is known for its massive selenite crystals, some of which are the largest natural crystals ever found.

How big are the crystals in the Giant Crystal Cave?

The crystals in the Giant Crystal Cave can reach up to 39 feet (12 meters) in length and weigh up to 55 tons. Some of the crystals are estimated to be around 500,000 years old.

How did the Giant Crystal Cave form?

The Giant Crystal Cave was formed when hot, mineral-rich water began to seep into the cave about 500,000 years ago. The water was heated by the geothermal activity in the area and the minerals in the water slowly crystallized over time, creating the massive crystals we see today.

Is the Giant Crystal Cave open to the public?

No, the Giant Crystal Cave is not open to the public. Due to the extreme conditions inside the cave, including high temperatures and humidity levels, it is only accessible to a few scientists and researchers.

What can we learn from studying the Giant Crystal Cave?

Studying the Giant Crystal Cave can provide valuable insights into the geological processes that occur deep underground. It can also help us understand how extreme environments can support life and the potential for discovering new species. Additionally, the crystals themselves can provide information about the Earth's past climate and the formation of minerals.