1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give the Limit

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

give the limit if it exist of (1-1/n)^n n=1 to infinity

the teacher wrote:
    lim n goes to infinity (1+x/n)^n = e^x

so therefore
    lim n goes to infinity (1-1/n)^n = e^-1

can someone explain this to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2
    All they've done is given x a value. And since the two expressions are equivalent, when x is a specific value in one expression, to remain equivalent x has the same value in the other.

So all your teacher did was substitute -1 for x?

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    how i'm i suppose to know that

(1+x/n)^n = e^x ??

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    Ah, yes I was wondering if that was your question.

Well the proof exists online... it's not too terribly difficult.

To prove that (where x is some constant) [tex]\mathop{\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} = e^x[/tex]

We first set the limit equal to an arbitrary variable (y for instance).

[tex]y =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n}[/tex]

Next we'll utilize the rules of the natural logarithm to bring down the power from the quantity on the right.

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } n ln(1+\frac{x}{n})[/tex]

Now to simplify and move forward, we must do some algebraic manipulation.

(Multiply by 1, which in this case we represent with [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex])

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty }n ln(1+\frac{x}{n})*\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

As you can see, this cancels out the n in the numerator, AND gives us a denominator.

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

At this point we would re-evaluate the limit, and it would return 0/0 (plug in infinity, it will give 0/0).

So, we use L'Hopital's Limit Rule to take the derivative of the numerator and denominator, respectively.
    Afterwords you should get,

[tex]x*\frac{\frac{n^{-2}}{1+\frac{1}{n}}}{n^{-2}}[/tex] Which you can see would cancel out the [tex]n^-2[/tex]'s from the expression. Which would yield:

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty }\frac{x}{1+\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

Evaluate the limit of the right side, and you'd get [tex]\frac{x}{1+0}[/tex] or simply [tex]x[/tex]

So you end up with [tex]lny = x[/tex] after which you can exponentiate both sides, and this gives you your final answer!

[tex]y = e^x[/tex]

And since y = both your original limit and your new expression e^x...

[tex]\mathop{\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} = e^x[/tex]

Now there's a few steps taken out of the explanation, such as actually taking the derivatives of L'Hopital's rule... but I would assume you could perform those by yourself.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Apr 1, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your definition of "e"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook