1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a canonical transformation, how does one find its type?

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    I'm given the following transformation

[tex]X=x \cos \alpha - \frac{p_y}{\beta} \sin \alpha[/tex]
    [tex]Y=y \cos \alpha - \frac{p_x}{\beta} \sin \alpha[/tex]
    [tex]P_X=\beta y \sin \alpha + p_x \cos \alpha[/tex]
    [tex]P_Y=\beta x \sin \alpha + p_y \cos \alpha[/tex]

and I'm asked to find what type(s) of transformation it is. I'm not sure how to go about doing this without being given a generator. Do I basically try and find a generator? If so, how do I do this. Do I start from Hamilton's principle and try the definition of each type of generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
    Not quite, that is a lot more work. You don't have to actually find the generator to determine what type it should be.

Say, for the sake of argument, the generator [itex]F[/itex] is a function of [itex]p_x,y,X,Y[/itex] (it's not) so that [itex]F=F(p_x,y,X,Y)[/itex]. This means that you would be able to write the other coordinates (namely [itex]p_y,x,P_x,P_y[/itex]) in terms of these ones. I can see that this type of generating function wont work since when I try to write [itex]P_y[/itex] I find (you'll need to invert the transformation to see this):
    [tex]
    P_y = x\beta \sin\alpha + p_y\cos\alpha = \left(X\cos\alpha + \frac{\sin\alpha}{\beta}P_y\right) \beta\sin\alpha + p_y\cos\alpha
    [/tex]
    and that simplifies to [itex]P_y=X\beta\tan\alpha + p_y\sec\alpha [/itex]. Therefore, I cannot write [itex]P_y[/itex] as a function of only those chosen coordinates. Try something else and see if you can find a coordinate set that works---then you will know what type of generating function you can have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook