Given a harmonic oscillator with mass m, and spring constant

In summary, the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator with mass and spring constant is X(doubledot)= -Wo^2X-2γx(dot)+(Fo/m)Sin(wt). Substituting in gives the steady state solution as X(t)= A cos(wt+Φ). To find the amplitude and the phase, we must assume the gamma is equal to 0, but why do we consider gamma as equal to zero?
Futurestar33

Homework Statement

Given a harmonic oscillator with mass m, and spring constant k, is subject to damping force F= cdx/dt and driven by an external force of the form F[ext]= FoSin(wt).

A) Find the steady state solution.
B) Find the amplitude and the phase.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

the steady state is usually in the form of X(t)= Acos(wt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

\
So i came up with this equation for the Fnet force.

F[net]= -kx+c(dx/dt)+FoSin(wt)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Futurestar33 said:

Homework Statement

Given a harmonic oscillator with mass m, and spring constant k, is subject to damping force F= cdx/dt and driven by an external force of the form F[ext]= FoSin(wt).

A) Find the steady state solution.
B) Find the amplitude and the phase.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

the steady state is usually in the form of X(t)= Acos(wt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

\
So i came up with this equation for the Fnet force.

F[net]= -kx+c(dx/dt)+FoSin(wt)[/B]
What should be the sign of your c dx/dt term? Think about it.

The sign of my dx/dt term should be X(dot)
or are you saying it should be negative instead of positive?

Once I have that should I move all the signs to the other side

Hello star,

Rudy wants you to think about the sign: a + or a -
In other words: if dx/dt > 0, which way does a damping force point ?

Usually we take the damping coefficient (in your case c) as a positive value and therefore we need a + or - sign in the equation of motion to let the force point the correct way.

When dx/dt >0 then the force has displacement to the right

Well I rearranged the equation of motion into
X(doubledot)=-(k/m)-cx(dot)+Fosin(wt)

which then turns into X(doubledot)= -Wo^2X-2γx(dot)+(Fo/m)Sin(wt)

Then I balanced the equation by bringing everything to the otherside
and using known equation for the angular frequence Wo=√(k/m) and C = 2γm
we receive

X(doubledot)= -Wo^2X-2γx(dot)+(Fo/m)Sin(wt)
X(doubledot)+Wo^2X+2γx(dot)=(Fo/m)Sin(wt)

Then in order to find the steady state solution we must assume the gamma is equal to 0 but why do we consider gamma as equal to zero?

$$\ddot x + 2\gamma\;\dot x + \omega_0^2\; x = {F_0\over m} \sin(\omega t)$$ looks good to me. But the
Then in order to find the steady state solution we must assume the gamma is equal to 0
does not. As you say: "why consider ##\gamma = 0 ## ?". What is your perception of this steady state solution you are looking for ?

the steady state is usually in the form of X(t)= A cos(wt+Φ)
is indeed correct. What it tells you (should tell you) is that after an initial reponse that dampens out (-- thanks to the non-zero gamma! --), the oscillator will oscillate with the period of the driving force and with a certain amplitude; there will also be (or may be) a phase difference between the driving force and the oscillator.

That the given form is actually a solution can be shown by substituting it in the equation. That will also help you on your way to find A and ##\phi##.

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits oscillatory or back-and-forth motion around a stable equilibrium point. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What is the relationship between mass and spring constant in a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, the mass and spring constant are directly proportional. This means that as the mass increases, the spring constant must also increase to maintain the same oscillation frequency.

3. How does changing the mass affect the period of a harmonic oscillator?

The period of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the period of the oscillator also increases.

4. What is the equation for the energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The equation for the energy of a harmonic oscillator is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point.

5. Can the spring constant be negative in a harmonic oscillator?

No, the spring constant cannot be negative in a harmonic oscillator. A negative spring constant would result in an unstable equilibrium point and the system would not exhibit harmonic motion.