Given min. polynomial of a, find min. polynomial of 1/a

  • Thread starter Thread starter ryou00730
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polynomial
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ryou00730
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given that the minimal polynomial of a over rationals is x^4+x+8, find the minimal polynomial for 1/a over Q.


Homework Equations


I know there is a lot of work done out there for finding the min. polynomials of a^k for k>0, however I've never seen anything with a^k for k<0. I have no intuition where to start with this problem, just wondering if there are methods out there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that

[tex]a^4+a+8=0[/tex]

An obvious thing to do is to multiply both sides by [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] multiple times.
 
Yea I realized this soon after posting, thanks for the help anyway.