Calculating the Minimal Polynomial for a Given Matrix A

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the minimal polynomial for a given matrix A and its characteristic polynomial. The minimal polynomial is defined as the monic polynomial with the lowest degree that satisfies M(A)=0 and has irreducible factors that divide the characteristic polynomial. A method to determine the minimal polynomial is to start with the factor of lowest degree and keep raising it until it gives a zero result. This approach is not ad hoc as it follows the definition of the minimal polynomial.
gottfried
I've been given a matrix A and calculated the characteristic polynomial. Which is (1-λ)5. Given this how does one calculate the minimal polynomial?

Also just to check, is it correct that the minimal polynomial is the monic polynomial with lowest degree that satisfies M(A)=0 and that all the irreducible factors of the minimal polynomial divide the characteristic polynomial?

Given this I think the minimal polynomial is (1-λ)2 since (I-A)≠0 and (I-A)2=0 but this method to figure it out seems a little ad hoc.

A=
[1 1 0 0 0]
[0 1 0 0 0]
[0 0 1 1 0]
[0 0 0 1 0]
[0 0 0 0 1]

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's perfecty valid. The characteristic polynomial is [itex](1- \lambda)^5[/itex] and the minimal polynomial is the polynomial, p, of lowest degree that is a factor of the characteristic polynomial and such that p(A)= 0. The obvious thing to do is to start with the factor of lowest degree, 1- x, that is a factor of that and see if I- A= 0. Since it does not, try [itex](I- A)^2[/itex]. I presume that did gives 0 but if it had not, you would then try [itex](I- A)^3[/itex] and so on. There is nothing "Ad hoc" about using the definition of something.

Thanks for clearing it up:)

Related to Calculating the Minimal Polynomial for a Given Matrix A

What is the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial is the smallest degree monic polynomial that has a given element as a root. In other words, it is the polynomial of lowest degree that satisfies a certain equation.

How is the minimal polynomial related to eigenvalues?

The minimal polynomial is closely related to eigenvalues in linear algebra. Specifically, the eigenvalues of a matrix are the roots of the minimal polynomial of that matrix. This relationship is important in understanding the properties and behavior of matrices.

How do you find the minimal polynomial of a given matrix?

To find the minimal polynomial of a matrix, you can use a variety of methods such as the characteristic polynomial, the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, or the rational canonical form. These methods involve finding the factors or divisors of the matrix and using them to construct the minimal polynomial.

Why is the minimal polynomial important in mathematics?

The minimal polynomial has various applications in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and number theory. It is used to determine the properties of matrices, such as diagonalizability and invertibility, and to solve problems related to algebraic numbers and field extensions.

Can the minimal polynomial have complex coefficients?

Yes, the minimal polynomial can have complex coefficients. In fact, for matrices with complex entries, the minimal polynomial is often a complex polynomial. This is because the roots of the minimal polynomial correspond to the eigenvalues, which can be complex numbers.