Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Given velocity of a transverse wave, need to find w and k. Please help!

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The drawing shows a snapshot of a transverse wave traveling along a string at 8.8 m/s. The equation for the wave is y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx).

(a) Is the wave moving to the right or to the left?
    To the left

(b) What are the numerical values of A, w, and k?
    A 2 mm,
    w rad/s
    k rad/m

(c) At what times could this snapshot have been taken? (Give the three smallest nonnegative possibilities in order.)
    ms ms ms

2. Relevant equations
    Kx=n * pi

3. The attempt at a solution I found the amplitude to be 2mm but I am not really sure where to go from their. I tried solving for w with the velocity but it doesn't give you frequency or wave length. Please help I am lost!

Sorry I just attached a picture of the graph

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    hey i cant see the picture>?

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    For part (b), I found k first. Then used that to find w.

k=2pi/wavelength

then

w=kv (v given in word problem)

If you or anyone has insight about part (c), that's where I'm at. (I actually got 2 and 3, but 1 is coming back incorrect for me.)

5. Apr 26, 2010 #4
    I am not sure how to get the wave length. I found the amplitude to be 2mm but I am not sure how to solve from their

6. Apr 26, 2010 #5
    When I look for wavelength, I'm a peak-to-peak kind of guy. Just read the x-axis and see how far apart they are. Looks around .04m.

7. Apr 26, 2010 #6
    For any physics masters out there, this is what I've tried for part C:

Part C: (c) At what times could this snapshot have been taken? (Give the three smallest nonnegative possibilities in order.)

y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx)

1. took an (x,y) coordinate from graph (peak 1): (0.03m, 0.002m)
    2. plugged into equation along with values found in part B, and solved for t at each cycle
    y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx)
    0.002m = 0.002m cos ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
    1 = cos ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))

Point 1:
    2pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
    t=1.4ms

Point 2:
    4pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
    t=5.68ms

Point 3:
    6pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
    t=10.2ms

Points 2 and 3 give me a correct answer. Point 1, incorrect. I've tried rounding differently and such. But it's just not happening. Anyone see any error in my logic/work?

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    Your answer for 1 is correct you just had one more decimal place than needed when i calculated it with your equation I came up with 1.1 and thats the correct answer

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook