1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given voltage, solve for unknown resistor in a circuit

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ohmic resistor (R1 = 3.5 kΩ) and circuit element X are connected in series to a battery of unknown voltage V0. Circuit element X is of unknown resistance. It is observed that the absolute value of the voltage across resistor R1 is 5.0 V.
    The battery voltage is measured and found to be equal to 8.0 V.
    The resistance of X must be what?

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    Found the current to be 0.0014 amps by doing 5.0 V/3500 kΩ

3. The attempt at a solution
    My trouble is that I have worked the problem, but have come up with 2 similar solutions that seem plausible.

Solution 1: 8V = 0.0014(R1+R2), solving for R2 gives 2.21kΩ
    Solution 2: Since the total voltage is 8 and R1 is 5, R2 must be 3. So then 3V = 0.0014(R2), and solving for R2 gives 2.14kΩ.

Both attempts are so close together that I have no idea which is right! Are they both more or less correct and one is just more accurate than the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Both methods will give you the correct (same) answer if you pay attention to rounding and truncation issues.

Don't round intermediate values for calculation. Carry sufficient digits to ensure that rounding and truncation errors do not creep into your valid significant digits. Scientific notation can go a long way to help avoid tired calculator fingers from entering all those leading zeros :)

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks! I guess I shouldn't be so lazy. ha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted