Givens rotations versus Euler angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of QR decomposition using Givens rotations and the comparison of rotation matrices with Euler angles. The speaker shares their belief that angles of Givens rotations can be used as Euler angles with some adjustments, but their implementation does not always result in the expected outcome. They question where the flaw in their idea or implementation may be.
makc
Trying to implement QR decomposition using Givens rotations, I calculate G1 to zero n32 of original matrix A, then G2 to zero n31 of G1 * A, then G2 to zero n21 of G2 * G1 * A. Residual matrix, R = G3 * G2 * G1 * A comes upper triangular as expected, so I believe my code is correct.

Looking at rotation matrix Q = G1^T * G2^T * G3^T against Euler rotation matrix X * Y * Z, I thought that I could use angles of Givens rotations as Euler angles up to sign correction at max.

To test this idea, I ran QR decomposition on pure rotation matrix A, expecting R to be identity matrix. This really worked out for certain rotataions, but for other cases, R was non-diagonal and, as you guessed, Givens rotations were nowhere near Euler angles.

I wonder where is a flaw could be in my idea or implementation?

Physics news on Phys.org
##Q^{-1}=(G_1\cdot G_2 \cdot G_3)^{-1} = G_3^{-1}\cdot G_2^{-1} \cdot G_1^{-1} \neq G_1^\tau\cdot G_2^\tau \cdot G_3^\tau##

Related to Givens rotations versus Euler angles

1. What are Givens rotations and Euler angles?

Givens rotations and Euler angles are two different methods for representing rotations in three-dimensional space. Givens rotations use a series of two-dimensional rotations to represent a three-dimensional rotation, while Euler angles use a combination of three rotations around different axes.

2. How do Givens rotations and Euler angles differ?

The main difference between Givens rotations and Euler angles is the way they represent rotations. Givens rotations represent a rotation as a series of 2D rotations, while Euler angles represent a rotation as a combination of 3D rotations around different axes.

3. Which method is better for representing rotations?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on the specific needs of the problem. Givens rotations are more efficient when performing calculations, while Euler angles are easier to visualize and interpret. It ultimately depends on the specific application and the preference of the user.

4. Are Givens rotations and Euler angles interchangeable?

No, Givens rotations and Euler angles are not interchangeable. They represent rotations in different ways and cannot be converted into each other without losing information. However, they can both be used to achieve the same end result of representing a rotation in three-dimensional space.

5. In what situations would one method be preferred over the other?

Givens rotations are often preferred for computational efficiency in situations where a large number of rotations need to be performed. Euler angles, on the other hand, are more commonly used in applications where visualization and interpretation of the rotations are important, such as in robotics or aerospace engineering.