Going back to college: 15 Year Long Wait

• Schools
  • Thread starter primeradiant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Year
In summary: You might want to consider taking a course or two in mathematics to up your game. Otherwise, a minor in astronomy might help you find a job at an observatory or science lab, depending on the field.
primeradiant
I know this has been on here alot, but I'm another of those that will be going back to college to get my physics degree. I'm 36, spent time in the intelligence field and infosec (meh), and realized that my first and only love was always space and physics. I did a year and a half of physics when I first started.

Couple questions:

1) Doing a 3 year degree doable? I've seen 3+2 scenarios with engineering (AWESOME stuff wish I had that in my area)

2) Math is #1 from what I've read from the forums. For refreshers, has anyone tried the Apple University free courses with much success? Even used it to test out?

3) I'm hoping to CLEP as much as possible. However, it's been a long time since I did physics, so I assume CLEPing any math or science is not good right?

4) I want my most from space/astronomy. It seems like going astronomy means I'm having to go straight to PHD. Is a minor useful in doing non-PHD level work at an observatory or science lab?

Cheers and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Probably not, depends on if your original credits will transfer and how the program is structured at whatever school you choose to go to.

3) Very few respectable schools still accept CLEP, so look at the policies of the places you want to apply to before you sink in the time and money.

primeradiant said:
2) Math is #1 from what I've read from the forums. For refreshers, has anyone tried the Apple University free courses with much success?
I assume that you mean iTunes-U? There are a number of good free lecture series there, as well as elsewhere on the web. Otherwise, I don't know what Apple University is, sorry. There are a number of threads on this forum discussing videos.

One recommendation is to pick up a second-hand calculus textbook (if you don't have one from before) and work along with these videos:
http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/

A good refresher...

1. What are the benefits of going back to college after a 15-year gap?

Returning to college after a 15-year break can have numerous benefits, including gaining new knowledge and skills, enhancing career prospects, and increasing earning potential. It can also provide a sense of personal accomplishment and the opportunity to network with professionals in your field.

2. Will my previous college credits still be valid after 15 years?

It depends on the college's policies and the type of credits earned. Generally, credits earned from accredited institutions tend to hold their value. However, it is best to check with the college you plan to attend to determine their specific transfer credit policies.

3. How can I balance going back to college with my other responsibilities?

Returning to college after a long break can be challenging, especially if you have other responsibilities such as a job and family. However, many colleges offer flexible schedules, online courses, and support services to help students manage their time effectively. It is also essential to prioritize and create a schedule that works for you.

4. Is it possible to get financial aid or scholarships after a 15-year gap?

Yes, it is possible to receive financial aid or scholarships after a 15-year gap. Many colleges offer financial aid packages to help students cover the cost of tuition, and there are also scholarships specifically for non-traditional students. It is best to research and apply for all available options to help fund your education.

5. How can I overcome the fear of going back to college after a long break?

It is natural to feel anxious about returning to college after a long gap, but it is essential to remember that you are not alone. Many adults go back to college after taking a break, and colleges often have resources and support services to help non-traditional students succeed. It can also be helpful to connect with other students who are in a similar situation and to set realistic goals for yourself.