Going back to college: 15 Year Long Wait

• Schools
  • Thread starter primeradiant
  • Start date
I know this has been on here alot, but I'm another of those that will be going back to college to get my physics degree. I'm 36, spent time in the intelligence field and infosec (meh), and realized that my first and only love was always space and physics. I did a year and a half of physics when I first started.

Couple questions:

1) Doing a 3 year degree doable? I've seen 3+2 scenarios with engineering (AWESOME stuff wish I had that in my area)

2) Math is #1 from what I've read from the forums. For refreshers, has anyone tried the Apple University free courses with much success? Even used it to test out?

3) I'm hoping to CLEP as much as possible. However, it's been a long time since I did physics, so I assume CLEPing any math or science is not good right?

4) I want my most from space/astronomy. It seems like going astronomy means I'm having to go straight to PHD. Is a minor useful in doing non-PHD level work at an observatory or science lab?

Cheers and thanks!

Answers and Replies

1) Probably not, depends on if your original credits will transfer and how the program is structured at whatever school you choose to go to.

3) Very few respectable schools still accept CLEP, so look at the policies of the places you want to apply to before you sink in the time and money.

2) Math is #1 from what I've read from the forums. For refreshers, has anyone tried the Apple University free courses with much success?
I assume that you mean iTunes-U? There are a number of good free lecture series there, as well as elsewhere on the web. Otherwise, I don't know what Apple University is, sorry. There are a number of threads on this forum discussing videos.

One recommendation is to pick up a second-hand calculus textbook (if you don't have one from before) and work along with these videos:
http://press.princeton.edu/video/banner/

A good refresher...