Going from undergrad Bio to graduate astronomy

In summary, the individual is a third year molecular and cell biology major who struggled to choose between biology and physics for their major. They ultimately chose biology due to their stronger conceptual understanding. However, they are now considering pursuing a graduate program in astronomy/astrophysics and are wondering how to prepare for it. They have read a thread about this topic and have been advised to contact admissions offices for more information. They have also decided to extend their stay at their university in order to double major in physics and biology. They are also considering the field of astrobiology as a potential career path.
member 468703
Hello,

So I'm going to be a third year molecular and cell biology major soon and I'm barely catching up on the requirements to complete the major at my university. I really had a hard time choosing between this and physics, thinking and weighing out the differences between the two for a few months. I chose biology in the end since I was just better at conceptual understanding rather than that required of physics. I would switch now but I just wouldn't make it in time for graduation. Still, I can't really see myself being as passionate about biology as I am about space sciences. I don't mind the thought of studying astronomy in graduate school but thinking about pursuing a phd in a biological science just doesn't feel right to me.

What I am wondering is how can I prepare myself for a graduate program in astronomy/astrophysics? My understanding is that graduate schools need some kind of record that I actually had training in advanced physics and laboratory.

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
To what extend does this thread answer your questions: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

I have read that thread, and that's why I wrote the second part of my post.
Assuming that I do have sufficient knowledge/training, how would I prove to the graduate schools if I don't have the time to get that onto my transcript?

I'm not sure there really is any way around it other than actually completing the relevant courses.

I'm sure there are exceptional cases admission clauses, but usually these are truly exceptional. An example might be a child prodigy who completes a subset of undergraduate and then graduate courses with near perfect grades who is then accepted into the graduate program at the same institution. They are not generally afforded to someone in your circumstances.

Choppy said:
I'm not sure there really is any way around it other than actually completing the relevant courses.

I'm sure there are exceptional cases admission clauses, but usually these are truly exceptional. An example might be a child prodigy who completes a subset of undergraduate and then graduate courses with near perfect grades who is then accepted into the graduate program at the same institution. They are not generally afforded to someone in your circumstances.

Kind of late but..

well actually I think you completely missed the point of my thread lol. I am not saying that I want to go directly to astronomy with a B.A. in Biology. I just wanted to know what I could do to prepare for graduate school in astronomy, and how to get that ON PAPER. I have spoken to a few advisers about it and they all said told me not to worry. They thought that my idea of getting a masters degree is not a bad idea and that graduate school is not as rigid as I thought it would be. They all suggested me to contact the admissions office of the universities that I am interested in. For those who have a similar issue, I recommend you to do the same, as they are the ones that know about this process, not the forums.

I have solved this issue on my own though. I've decided to extend my stay in my university in order to double major.

Zephys said:
Kind of late but..

well actually I think you completely missed the point of my thread lol. I am not saying that I want to go directly to astronomy with a B.A. in Biology. I just wanted to know what I could do to prepare for graduate school in astronomy, and how to get that ON PAPER. I have spoken to a few advisers about it and they all said told me not to worry. They thought that my idea of getting a masters degree is not a bad idea and that graduate school is not as rigid as I thought it would be. They all suggested me to contact the admissions office of the universities that I am interested in. For those who have a similar issue, I recommend you to do the same, as they are the ones that know about this process, not the forums.

I have solved this issue on my own though. I've decided to extend my stay in my university in order to double major.

Yeah, I don't think a biology degree will prepare you for a graduate program in astronomy. Our astronomy PhD program, for example, requires every student to take mechanics, quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and statistical mechanics, along with several astronomy-specific courses. The only way to be adequately prepared for all those grad-level physics courses is to have taken plenty of upper division physics courses as an undergrad. In fact, almost all of the students admitted to our astro PhD program majored in physics as undergrads.

Why not aim for astrobiology, a totally fascinating area with a great near future - probes going to Mars & Jupiter's moons looking for life, Earth-like planets just starting to be discovered around other stars (one on the news last night!)

Also on the news last night, the Dutch are planning a reality show based on sending an astronaut on a one way mission to Mars (one way 'cause bone & muscle will waste away so much that there will be no return... not sure if this is true... an astrobiologist might know, or find out...)

http://astrobiology2.arc.nasa.gov/nai/education-and-outreach/astrobiology-career-path-suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Geezer said:
Yeah, I don't think a biology degree will prepare you for a graduate program in astronomy. Our astronomy PhD program, for example, requires every student to take mechanics, quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and statistical mechanics, along with several astronomy-specific courses. The only way to be adequately prepared for all those grad-level physics courses is to have taken plenty of upper division physics courses as an undergrad. In fact, almost all of the students admitted to our astro PhD program majored in physics as undergrads.

Yes, I am well aware of that. This is why I said that I will be double majoring and that I thought about getting a masters degree first. Though I didn't know that one would need to learn such a wide range of courses.

mal4mac said:
Why not aim for astrobiology, a totally fascinating area with a great near future - probes going to Mars & Jupiter's moons looking for life, Earth-like planets just starting to be discovered around other stars (one on the news last night!)

Also on the news last night, the Dutch are planning a reality show based on sending an astronaut on a one way mission to Mars (one way 'cause bone & muscle will waste away so much that there will be no return... not sure if this is true... an astrobiologist might know, or find out...)

http://astrobiology2.arc.nasa.gov/nai/education-and-outreach/astrobiology-career-path-suggestions

Wow! That sounds really cool. I've actually been thinking about astrobiology, but I need to read up more about it. That link you provided is very helpful, so thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
My last high school science project repeated the classic experiment in astrobiology, the Urey-Miller experiment. I actually created some organic compounds... but no life crawled from the container :)

Such an interesting area!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

1. How can I prepare for a graduate astronomy program coming from an undergraduate biology background?

There are a few things you can do to prepare for a graduate astronomy program if you are coming from an undergraduate biology background. First, make sure to take as many physics and math courses as possible during your undergraduate studies. These will be crucial for understanding the concepts and calculations in astronomy. Secondly, try to gain some experience in astronomy through internships, research opportunities, or even taking astronomy courses as electives. Finally, familiarize yourself with the current research and advancements in the field of astronomy to get a sense of the topics and techniques you will be studying in graduate school.

2. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites I should have before applying to a graduate astronomy program?

Most graduate astronomy programs will have specific prerequisites, such as physics, math, and astronomy courses. It is essential to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge. If you are missing any prerequisites, consider taking additional courses or reaching out to the program to see if there are any alternative ways to fulfill those requirements.

3. Will my biology background be a disadvantage in a graduate astronomy program?

No, your biology background will not necessarily be a disadvantage in a graduate astronomy program. Many aspects of biology, such as evolution and genetics, are closely related to concepts in astronomy, such as the formation of planets and stars. However, you may need to put in some extra effort to catch up on the physics and math aspects of the program if these were not heavily emphasized in your undergraduate studies.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a graduate degree in astronomy and an undergraduate degree in biology?

There are many career opportunities for individuals with a graduate degree in astronomy and an undergraduate degree in biology. Some options include research positions at universities or government agencies, teaching at the high school or college level, working in science communication or outreach, or pursuing a career in data analysis and technology. You may also have the opportunity to work in interdisciplinary fields that combine biology and astronomy, such as astrobiology or planetary science.

5. How can I make the most of my graduate astronomy program as someone with a biology background?

To make the most of your graduate astronomy program, it is essential to be proactive and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. Network with professors and fellow students, participate in research projects and internships, and attend conferences and workshops related to your field of study. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out additional resources if you are struggling with certain concepts or techniques. Lastly, keep an open mind and be willing to learn and adapt to new ways of thinking and problem-solving in the field of astronomy.