Good book for calculus-based general physics?

In summary, the speaker had taken two semesters of algebra-based general physics and is currently taking a "conversion" class that covers everything from the past two classes and adds calculus methods. They do not have a textbook for the course and are relying on the instructor's notes and recommended practice problems. The speaker is seeking recommendations for a calculus general physics book with challenging problems and well-written solutions. A suggested option is the book "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, which is over 1600 pages and has a newer edition coming out in January. However, the speaker suggests finding a cheaper, older edition online.
Ryuk1990
I had two semesters of algebra-based general physics. Right now, I'm taking a "conversion" class which pretty much goes over everything I did in those past two classes but it also adds calculus methods. There is no textbook for the course so I'm relying solely on the instructor's notes and recommended practice problems he gives us. It sure would be nice to have a good textbook to refer to while going through this course. Any recommendations for a nice calculus general physics book which explains how to solve a variety of problems that can get challenging while also offering good practice problems that come with well written solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/080532187X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Over 1600 pages of greatness. If the price is too steep, you can purchase the same text in volumes. I think there are three, so you'll spread out the spending over time. The newest edition will be released in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Young and Freedman is a good book, but since it's not required, it would be ridiculous to spend $200 on a new one. Shop Ebay or the used book sites, and get an old edition for about ten bucks. Freshman physics hasn't changed for the last 80 years or so.

1. What is the best book for calculus-based general physics?

There are many good books for calculus-based general physics, but some popular choices include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences, so it's best to browse through a few options and see which one resonates with you.

2. What topics are typically covered in a calculus-based general physics book?

A calculus-based general physics book typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. It may also include additional topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics.

3. Is there a difference between a calculus-based and an algebra-based physics book?

Yes, there is a difference between these two types of physics books. A calculus-based physics book requires a strong understanding of calculus concepts and applies them to solve problems, while an algebra-based physics book may use simpler algebraic equations to solve problems. Calculus-based physics is typically more rigorous and used for higher-level courses in physics and engineering.

4. Do I need a calculus background to understand a calculus-based general physics book?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary to fully understand and apply the concepts in a calculus-based general physics book. It is recommended to have completed at least one semester of calculus before diving into this type of physics book.

5. How can I supplement my learning from a calculus-based general physics book?

There are many ways to supplement your learning from a calculus-based general physics book. Some suggestions include attending lectures, participating in study groups, watching online videos or tutorials, and practicing problem-solving with additional resources such as workbooks or practice exams. It may also be helpful to consult with a physics tutor or professor for additional guidance and clarification.