1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books about Newtonian mathematics.

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    Any one recommend some good books about Newtonian maths, his theories etc, Calculus, Liebnitz ,whatever, or any entry level calculus books? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who wants to get back into maths, so it should be from an introductory level and up?

I learnt mine from text books, that aren't widely available, ie their university material, so any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2
    17th century mathematics is obsolete in terms of notation and rigorousness. It would hardly benefit your friend to read such books. I recommend a classic introduction, maybe What is Mathematics?
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  4. Feb 15, 2007 #3
    My mistake I mean calculus in general. Just introductory stuff. Thanks.
  5. Feb 15, 2007 #4

I don't think he meant for his friend to read Principia :biggrin: (which, of course, you can get by typing prin... into google).

SD - does he want a popular maths book or a textbook?

e2a: i see a new reply...
  6. Feb 15, 2007 #5
    He's trying to get back into maths so anything that helps him do that.
  7. Feb 15, 2007 #6
    The book I recommended will do a good job in that respect, I believe. It's not very expensive and gives good insight on mathematics for people that have either forgotten it or feel weak in it.
  8. Feb 15, 2007 #7
    OK thanks, already recommended to my pal. anything else anyone can think of feel happy to put it up :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?