Good books on Group theory in High Energy physics

• Thread starter pallab
  • Start date
please suggest me a good book on the high energy physics where group theory is discussed for the beginner.

Answers and Replies

ChrisVer
Gold Member
Any book in particle physics will devote some part to group theory in high energy physics (e.g. Griffith's "introduction to elementary particles"). For example Halzen & Martin's "Quarks and leptons" have a whole section on group applications...
You can also have a look at Cornwell's "Group Theory in Physics: An Introduction" and Georgi's "Lie algebras in particle physics" which are more thematic.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Any book in particle physics will devote some part to group theory in high energy physics (e.g. Griffith's "introduction to elementary particles").
While this is true, in my experience, you will not find a HEP book that covers group theory to any larger extent apart from the very basics needed for the applications relevant to that book only. If you want a somewhat deeper introduction to group theory in physics, there are many dedicated books for this.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It's not a HEP book, but should be read before heading towards it:

Sexl, Urbandtke, Relativity, Groups, Particles, Springer

Likes dextercioby
I don't know your actual background but this textbook helped me a lot then
Pierre Ramond "Group Theory a Physicist's survey"

It was also good in the following manner. You might get basic ideas and concepts on groups from any HEP textbook but for some reasons you want to enlarge your knowledge in this subject. Unlike almost all books on math you DON'T have to read this one from the very begining to understand the part you are interested in.

Likes vanhees71