1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Energy High Energy Physics and Group Theory Book Recommendations

1. Sep 16, 2017 #1
    Hey there! I just want to ask if there are any books you would like to recommend that helps in studying high energy physics and HEP data analysis? Also can you recommend a good book for group theory and symmetry?

I would be glad if you have links to free downloadable books. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very good combination of both aspects are the 3 vols. by Weinberg:

S. Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, 3 Vols., Cambridge University Press

It's however not ideal as an introductory textbook. You should complement it by some more introductory book, also dealing with phenomenology, for which I recommend

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics, Springer-Verlag
    D. H. Perkins, Introduction to high-energy physics, Cambridge University Press

4. Sep 19, 2017 #3
    I'm quite familiar with the titles except Nachtmann's book. Thank you for your recommendations. Also what can you say about Thomson's book Modern Particle Physics and Walecka's Modern Physics series?

5. Sep 19, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer Wu Ki Tung for continuous group theory

6. Sep 19, 2017 #5
    I see. Good thing is this is the preferred textbook for our Group Theory class. Thank you very much! I have decided to find myself a copy of Wu Ki Tung's book.

7. Sep 19, 2017 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have had it for almost 30 years, read it on occasion and realize just how much I forgot over the years.....

8. Sep 20, 2017 #7

ibkev

Gold Member

Here is the final draft version of Peter Woit's book called "Quantum Theory, Groups and Representations: An Introduction" published by Springer later this year.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/QMbook

9. Sep 20, 2017 #8
    Coming from your experience, I am more convinced that I should really get a copy of this book.

Based on the title, I think it's a complete one. Thank you for the link

10. Sep 20, 2017 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it is a text for a class I would...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted