Books about tensor analysis just good enough for physics

In summary: The solution is just a sentence thatAs the gradient transforms like a vector, it is clear that the gradient of a tensor field of rank ##n## is a tensor of rank ##n+1##.
Haorong Wu
Hi. I am looking for a book about tensor analysis. I am aware that there have been some post about those books, but I wish to find a thin book rather than a tome but just good enough for physics, such as group theory, relativistic quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory.

I am reading Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken, Weber, Harris. The content in the chapter of tensors is quite easy to understand, but when it comes to the exercises, I can only solve half of them. Besides, even looking at the solutions, I can not understand them.

For example,
If ##T_{...i}## is a tensor of rank ##n##, show that ##\partial {T_{...i}} / \partial {x^j}## is a tensor of rank ##n+1##. (Cartesian coordinates).

The solution is just a sentence that
As the gradient transforms like a vector, it is clear that the gradient of a tensor field of rank ##n## is a tensor of rank ##n+1##.

I cannot understand the solution at all. Maybe the content of this chapter is not self-content?

By the way, what would you do if the problems in some book are hard to solve? I have read nonlinear optics by Boyd and quantum optics by Scully. I find that I can handle the content of these two books, but I can not solve most of the problems. My tutor ask me to just read the books, and leave the problems aside. However I do not feel good enough if I cannot solve problems. Maybe I have some problems...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not as a correct mathematics but to be accustomed to the way, I will show
[tex]\frac{\partial T_{abc...hi}}{\partial x^j }=T_{abc...hi \ \mathbf{,\ j}}[/tex]
It shows that differentiation by contra variant component is one more addition to covariant component and "," means this differentiation or gradient.
For an example of rank 0 tensor, scalar ##\phi##
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^i}=\phi_{,i}=-\mathbf{E}[/tex]
minus electric field vector (= rank 1 tensor of covariant component ) in electrostatics for i={1,2,3}.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
vector (= rank 1 tensor of covariant component )

Standard nomenclature is that it's covector, not vector. But you can transform it to a vector using metric tensor.

Likes anuttarasammyak
anuttarasammyak said:
Not as a correct mathematics but to be accustomed to the way, I will show
[tex]\frac{\partial T_{abc...hi}}{\partial x^j }=T_{abc...hi \ \mathbf{,\ j}}[/tex]
It shows that differentiation by contra variant component is one more addition to covariant component and "," means this differentiation or gradient.
For an example of rank 0 tensor, scalar ##\phi##
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^i}=\phi_{,i}=-\mathbf{E}[/tex]
minus electric field vector (= rank 1 tensor of covariant component ) in electrostatics for i={1,2,3}.
Thanks! But I still do not understand the solution.

By the way, I have finished tensor analysis, pseudotensors, dual tensors, tensors in general coordinates. the remaining part of the chapter have Jacobians, differential Forms, differentiating forms, and integrating forms. Should I finish the remaining part? I do not see the connections between them and those subjects that I am going to learn, such as group theory, quantum field theory, and relativistic quantum mechanics.

If they are not relavent to those areas, I would direct my limited time to other chapters.

Haorong Wu said:
Should I finish the remaining part?

I am not qualified to the fields you mentioned, but I recommend you to go through the text anyway. You will be more confident on the mathematics and get a place to come back when you really need it.

Haorong Wu said:
I am reading Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken, Weber, Harris. The content in the chapter of tensors is quite easy to understand, but when it comes to the exercises, I can only solve half of them. Besides, even looking at the solutions, I can not understand them.

For example,The solution is just a sentence thatI cannot understand the solution at all. Maybe the content of this chapter is not self-content?

My copy of Arfken and Weber has decided to self-isolate at a location different from my location, so I do not have it at hand. Probably Arfken, Weber, and Harris define tensors as quantities that have certain transformation properties under a change of coordinates. (It is difficult for me to imagine that Arfken, Weber, and Harris define tensors as multilinear maps.)

As an example, consider a tensor (with components) ##T_{ab}##. Define a new quantity ##A_{abc}## by
$$A_{abc} = \frac{\partial T_{ab}}{\partial x^c}.$$

By considering a new coordinate system, and by using the multivariable chain rule, show that ##A_{abc}## has the right transformation property to be a tensor.

1. What is tensor analysis?

Tensor analysis is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationships between different quantities in a physical system. It is particularly useful in physics, as it allows for the description of physical laws and equations in a way that is independent of any specific coordinate system.

2. Why are books about tensor analysis important for physics?

Books about tensor analysis are important for physics because tensors are essential in understanding and describing many physical phenomena, such as electromagnetism, general relativity, and fluid dynamics. Without a solid understanding of tensor analysis, it can be difficult to fully comprehend these concepts.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding books about tensor analysis?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra is necessary to understand tensor analysis. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of vector and matrix operations, as well as basic physics concepts.

4. Can books about tensor analysis be used for self-study?

Yes, books about tensor analysis can definitely be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong mathematical background and to work through the exercises and examples carefully to fully grasp the concepts.

5. Are there any recommended books about tensor analysis for physics?

Yes, some popular books about tensor analysis for physics include "Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity and Cosmology" by Derek F. Lawden, "Tensor Analysis and Elementary Differential Geometry for Physicists and Engineers" by Hung Nguyen-Schäfer, and "The Geometry of Physics: An Introduction" by Theodore Frankel.