Good 'Intro to electricity/magnetism basics' book

In summary, this individual is self-studying for a college course in electricity and magnetism, and they are unsure of what books to recommend. One book to consider is Edward Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism, which is an excellent bridge between physics and introductory circuit theory.
kirab
Hey all,

I'm currently self-studying some basic electricity and magnetism for my 2nd semester of EE next year which has a "Fundamentals of Electricity" course. Now I haven't done any electricity-related stuff since my senior year of HS and I am frankly a little bit weaker than I would like to be in this area.

I'm reading through some college physics book I found in someone's trash but it doesn't seem all that great to me. The concepts are skimmed over and not descriptive or in-depth; leading to a poor theoretical background which I know I am going to need. So I was wondering if someone had any books in mind? Specifically, the topics I'm looking into in my book are: electrostatics, DC/AC circuits and electromagnetism -- since this is all that this book offers in this area. I'd like to get some firm footing in electricity in general before I move onto circuits though (for which "The Art of Electronics" by H&H is supposedly great, but I'm not sure how much non-circuit stuff they cover).

The course description for my 2nd semester course looks like this: electricity/magnetism review, circuit analysis, resistive circuits, nodal and mesh analysis, network theorems. Natural & forced response of RL & RC circuits. Sinusoidal steady-state analysis, frequency response and power in AC circuits. Op-amp circuits.

Does anyone have any suggestions on books I should look into if I want to be ready for this course (a non-calculus treatment is preferred BTW)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the Art of Electronics. Only circuits and stuff, no E&M. I also have E&M by Griffiths. NO circuit stuff, really.

The two topics are very related, but you don't need one for the other. Knowing EM won't really help you with circuits and vice-versa, in my experience at least.

I'm sure a freshman college text like Halladay or Serway/Jewett would suffice.

I think you guys are going to have to be more specific, even if I do find the book in question, since I'm not really all that familiar with them I won't know for sure :D

If you want to learn/review a 1st-year university physics course on electricity and magnetism, I would recommend Edward Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism (Berkeley Physics Course Volume II). In particular, this book is an excellent bridge between physics and introductory circuit theory.

From the syllabus you've provided, it sounds like the course you'll be taking is a standard first-course in electrical engineering. Typical textbooks for this course include Alexander & Sadiku's Fundamentals of Electric Circuits and Nilsson & Riedel's Electric Circuits. I would encourage you to read Horowitz & Hill's The Art of Electronics in conjunction with whatever textbook you use for the course, as the textbook will have better coverage of the theory, and Horowitz & Hill will tell you how to use the theory in practice.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about electricity and magnetism?

The best book for beginners to learn about electricity and magnetism is "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell and David J. Morin. This book provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the basics of electricity and magnetism, making it perfect for those with little to no prior knowledge on the subject.

2. Is there a book that covers both electricity and magnetism in one volume?

Yes, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell and David J. Morin covers both electricity and magnetism in one volume. This book is a great resource for beginners as it presents the concepts in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to follow and understand.

3. Are there any interactive elements in a good "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" book?

Yes, many good "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" books include interactive elements such as illustrations, diagrams, and practice problems. These elements help to reinforce the concepts and make the learning experience more engaging and effective.

4. What is the recommended background knowledge for reading a "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" book?

Most "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" books do not require any prior knowledge of the subject. However, a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry can be helpful in understanding some of the concepts presented in the book.

5. Can a "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" book be used for self-study?

Yes, a "Intro to electricity/magnetism basics" book can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to also seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or lectures, to reinforce the concepts learned from the book.