Are you a science fiction/fantasy fan with a curious mind?

• Thread starter Nathaniel222
  • Start date
Nathaniel222
Hi, my name is Nathaniel. I've been a science fiction/fantasy fan for a very long time, and I enjoy imagining and speculating about scientific theories and possibilities.

I have no professional background in mathematics or astrophysics (I can almost hear you crying "God! Not another one!" :rolleyes:). In fact, I have more experience juggling dice and playing tabletop RPGs, ha. Aside from an intuitive comprehension of statistical analysis, that wouldn't do me much good here.

I joined this forum since I had a peculiar idea/concept that I'm not sure has been addressed, and was curious about peoples' insights into its feasibility/impracticality. I'll put forth my naive question in an appropriate thread rather than elaborating on it here.

Depending on the activity and responses, and how interesting subjects in your forum is, I might stick around! In the meantime, I'll try to have some fun and hopefully not give you too many migraines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF! Do please read up on our guidelines about speculation
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
I'm afraid I don't understand. What is "generally accepted" science? Naturally I can understand that a lot of the vagaries of philosophy and semantics of religion wouldn't be welcome here. Do you mean that all fringe science is taboo?

Nathaniel222 said:
Do you mean that all fringe science is taboo?
We're primarily an education community so we stick with mainstream science.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We're primarily an education community so we stick with mainstream science.
Ah I see. Well, sorry for wasting your time, then. I hope that you reconsider this stance in the future. I'm sure managing the crackpots and cranks must be very tedious, but many I'm sure are well-meaning and enthusiastic about science, if misinformed. I feel like that enthusiasm is a wasted resource for community involvement, since many of science's greatest achievements were originally conceived as little more than speculative fiction. Thanks for the polite, informative and timely responses to my questions. Good luck with managing your community. Farewell!

Nathaniel222 said:
I hope that you reconsider this stance in the future

We tried in the past and it didn't work out

Nathaniel222 said:
Good luck with managing your community

Thanks, you too!

1. What does "Good news, everyone" mean?

"Good news, everyone" is a phrase often used in a humorous or sarcastic manner to announce something positive or exciting. It is commonly associated with the animated TV show "Futurama" and its main character, Professor Farnsworth.

2. Why is "Good news, everyone" often associated with science?

The phrase "Good news, everyone" is commonly used in the context of scientific discoveries or breakthroughs, as it is often used by Professor Farnsworth to announce a new invention or discovery in the show "Futurama". This association with science and technology has made the phrase popular among scientists and science enthusiasts.

3. Is "Good news, everyone" always used in a positive context?

No, "Good news, everyone" can also be used ironically or sarcastically to announce something negative or unexpected. This usage is also common in the show "Futurama" where the phrase is often followed by a disastrous or comical event.

4. Who is the originator of the phrase "Good news, everyone"?

The phrase "Good news, everyone" was popularized by the animated TV show "Futurama" and its creator, Matt Groening. However, it is believed that the phrase was first used in the 1930s by radio personality Gabriel Heatter as a catchphrase for his radio show.

5. How has the phrase "Good news, everyone" been used outside of "Futurama"?

Aside from its use in popular culture, the phrase "Good news, everyone" has also been used in various contexts such as advertising, news headlines, and social media posts. It has become a popular catchphrase and has been adapted for different purposes, often with a humorous or ironic tone.