1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good ole hemispherical dome differentials problem

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use differentials to estimate the amount of paint needed to apply a coat of paint 0.03 cm thick to a hemispherical dome with diameter 54 m. (Round the answer to two decimal places.)

2. Relevant equations
    V = 1/2(4/3(pi*r^3)) = 1/2(4/3(pi*(1/2D)^3)) = 1/2(4/3*pi(1/8D^3)) = 1/12pi*D^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    How does V change if we change d from 54m to (54 = 0.03*10^-2)m?
    dV/dD = 1/4*pi*D^2
    dV = 1/4*pi*D^2*dD
    = 1/4*pi*(54)^2(0.03*10^-2)

I got 0.679 as an awesome and got it wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why did you switch to diameter? Since you are only painting a hemisphere, the paint only increases the radius, not the diameter. And use [itex]V= (2/3)\pi r^3[/itex].

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3
    Okay, using 2/3 seems a lot easier, but my professor gave an example in class of converting radius to diameter. Furthermore, I had a problem on a previous homework where I had to solve for the rate at which a sphere increased, and I got the right answer after converting the radius in the formula into diameter after attempting to solve for the rate at which the radius changed. If I do go about solving for the radius in this problem, what all needs to be done to address the problem of solving for diameter?

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use the diameter if you want. But after applying the paint the diameter becomes 54m+2*(0.03cm).

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5
    okay. thanks for the help, all!

7. Mar 11, 2011 #6
    Your original differential seems to be correct, you used sound mathematical principles, the only problem I see is the final answer. When I put .25*pi*(54)^2*.0003 I get .687. I have tried to figure out what you might have miss entered, but the formula you used was good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?