Good paper(s) on Bell's theorem

In summary, the papers by EPR and Bell discuss the theory of quantum mechanics. The paper by Daniel Greenberger, Michael A. Horne, Abner Shimony, and Anton Zeilinger explains Bell's theorem without inequalities.
Edgardo
Hello all,

When I read the original papers by EPR and Bell here
http://www.drchinese.com/David/EPR_Bell_Aspect.htm
I didn't understand them.

But I found a paper that explains Bell's theorem quite good:

Daniel M. Greenberger, Michael A. Horne, Abner Shimony, Anton Zeilinger
"Bell's theorem without inequalities", American Journal of Physics Vol. 58 (12), December 1990.

So for all the ones who are interested in Bell's theorem, read the paper! :smile:
Especially the Appendix, where Bell's inquality is derived.

If you know of any other good papers on this topic, just post them here.

Cheers!

Edgardo

P.S. To find the paper, type in google American Journal of Physics and Browse "All Online Issues"
http://scitation.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=AJPIAS
Go to Volume 58, to December and search for the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried it but they asked for a username and password, or I could buy it for $18.50. If it were $1.50 I probably would have gone for it ;-)

Some other good papers on Bell's theorem

Quantum mechanics, local realistic theories, and Lorentz-invariant realistic theories
Hardy L
PHYS REV LETT 68: (20) 2981-2984 MAY 18 1992

"The mystery of the quantum cakes," P.G. Kwiat and L. Hardy, Am. J. Phys. 68, 33 (2000).

"Hidden Variables and the Two Theorems of John Bell", N. David Mermin, Rev. Mod. Phys. 65, 803–815 (1993)

I found further good papers:

"Ghost-like action-at-a-distance in quantum mechanics: an elementary introduction to the Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen paradox", R D Mattuck 1982 Eur. J. Phys. 3 107-112
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0143-0807/3/2/010

"Bell's inequality and 'ghost-like action-at-a-distance' in quantum mechanics", R D Mattuck 1982 Eur. J. Phys. 3 113-118
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0143-0807/3/2/011

Note: Your will be able to download those papers from your university's computer, since
your university has probably a subscription to those journals.

Although this is not his original, this one by Zeilinger covers much of the same ground as the one cited by OP:

Multi-photon Entanglement

And it doesn't cost 18.50...

1. What is Bell's theorem?

Bell's theorem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the predictions of quantum mechanics cannot be explained by any theory based on local hidden variables.

2. What makes a paper on Bell's theorem a "good" paper?

A good paper on Bell's theorem should provide a clear and concise explanation of the theorem, its implications, and its significance in the field of quantum mechanics. It should also present new and innovative ideas or experiments related to Bell's theorem.

3. How does Bell's theorem challenge our understanding of reality?

Bell's theorem challenges our understanding of reality by demonstrating that the predictions of quantum mechanics cannot be explained by any classical theory. This suggests that our understanding of reality may need to be revised.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Bell's theorem?

While Bell's theorem has primarily been studied in the context of quantum mechanics, it has also had implications in other fields such as cryptography and information theory. It has also inspired new research in areas such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

5. What are some criticisms of Bell's theorem?

Some criticisms of Bell's theorem include its reliance on assumptions and simplifications, as well as its lack of experimental evidence. Some scientists also argue that Bell's theorem does not fully disprove the existence of local hidden variables.