Good Proofs for Math Prep: High School Senior

• Thread starter lj18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior planning to major in math in college. They are currently on break, but are reviewing topics from before and during calculus to prepare for the second semester. They are looking for suggestions on interesting proofs to read and general advice on how to prepare for their future in math. Some recommended resources include classic proofs by contradiction, the book "Proofs from the Book" by Aigner, and the thread "How to write math proofs".
lj18
I am a high school senior who is planning to major in math in college. I am currently in a break until the second semester of calculus at a local college starts at the end of January. I took the first half as an AP class at my school last year. I have been going back and reviewing topics from before calculus and the calculus that I have already learned to make sure that I am ready for this semester.
I know that proofs are very important to math, but I feel like the topic has really been neglected in former classes. I would really like to read through some really interesting ones that I would be able to follow with my background. Any suggestions? Also, any advise in general on things I should do now to prepare for for my future math education/career?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some classic, simple proofs that nevertheless use important ideas. An example is the reductio ad absurdum proof of the irrationality of the square root of 2 (see here, "proof by infinite descent"). This is a proof by contradiction, you begin by supposing something is true, and proceed to show that a contradiction follows from this assumption, concluding that the original assumption must be false. Proofs of this kind appear everywhere in maths, so getting an idea of how it works at this stage will be very useful.

Another classic proof by contradiction is a proof that there are an infinite number of primes.

Both these proofs are used as examples in the famous "a mathematician's apology" by G.H. Hardy, which is well worth reading. It was written in 1940 and in some respects is a little dated (at the time of writing Hardy was firmly convinced of the practical uselessness of his field, number theory, which is now hugely important due to its role in cryptography), but it is a very readable peek into the thought processes of a pure mathematician.

Last edited:
Thank you. I looked at those and I'll look into getting those books.

Have a look at our thread How to write math proofs. It contains a collection of free pdfs that teach you proof writing. They are geared towards beginners.

If you have a good mathematical intuition, your transition to proof writing shouldn't be hard at all. Just read a few chapters of the book "How to Prove It" by Velleman to get acquainted with the techniques, methods and formalisms used in proofs and you should be set.

1. What is the importance of having good proofs in math preparation for high school seniors?

Good proofs in math preparation for high school seniors are important because they help students to understand and internalize mathematical concepts and principles. They also serve as a way to verify the accuracy and validity of mathematical statements and arguments, which is crucial for success in advanced math courses and higher education.

2. How can high school seniors improve their proof-writing skills?

One of the best ways for high school seniors to improve their proof-writing skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving a variety of mathematical problems and exercises that require the use of proofs, as well as seeking feedback and guidance from teachers or tutors.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing proofs include using vague or imprecise language, making assumptions without proper justification, and skipping important steps or details. It is also important to carefully check the logic and reasoning of the proof to ensure that it is sound.

4. How can good proofs benefit students beyond high school math?

Good proofs can benefit students beyond high school math by developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields and professions. They also provide a foundation for understanding and analyzing more complex mathematical concepts and theories in higher education.

5. Are there any resources available for students to learn more about writing good proofs?

Yes, there are various resources available for students to learn more about writing good proofs. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and practice problems with solutions. Many universities also offer workshops or courses on proof-writing for students who are interested in further improving their skills.