Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good riddance to Summer Session 1!

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi folks,

I haven't been very active lately, and I've missed ya. :cry:

Where I teach we have summer courses that are 6 weeks long, and in Summer Session 1 (just ending now) I had 2 of them: Statics/Strength of Materials and Thermo. I've never taught thermo before, and in the 13 years since I took it they went and came up with this program called EES (Engineering Equation Solver). So in addition to re-learning some long forgotten thermo I had to go through this 300 page instruction manual on EES. After a while I said to the class, "You know what? People did thermo for a century and a half without using EES, and so can you all!" :biggrin:

Anyway, Summer Session 2 starts next week. I'm teaching Electric Circuits (lecture and lab). I've taught this course 3 times now, and it should be a breeze. I'm looking forward to getting back to my old self, both in real life and here at PF.

See you next week! :cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've missed you too!!! :cry: It just hasn't been the same without you. :frown:

4. Jun 30, 2006 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Big hug for Evo*

These summer courses are murder. We cram 15 weeks worth of stuff into 6. I can do it for courses I've taught several times, but preparing that first set of thermo lecture notes at this accelerated pace was almost too much to handle. Ordinarily I work hard to make sure that my courses are more interesting than the norm, but for this I just had to work hard to make sure that there were no errors in my notes! All I can say is, I hope I get assigned to this course again in the future because I would hate to think that all this pain and suffering was just for 6 weeks!

5. Jun 30, 2006 #4
    EES is one hell of a powerful equation solver Tom. Easy to use, just use the help menu!

I can send you my themro project in EES, it was a bloody pain. :rofl:

What's good about it is that it does iterative solutions. So all you have to do is give it enough equations and it will solve for the unknowns. You dont even have to move the variables to one side!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  6. Jun 30, 2006 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cyrus: I've just sent you a PM. By the way, love the Ali quote and pic.

Thanks,

T

7. Jun 30, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like every day in the professional world. :biggrin:

8. Jun 30, 2006 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

har-de-har-har :biggrin:

It was actually even worse than I described. I got the thermo homework solutions manual a couple of weeks before the course started, but not the textbook. I didn't get that until the first day of the session, which means I had to whip up my first set of lecture notes mere hours before class. I almost cancelled the first day! Then after not too long I discovered that the solution manual I had was for a previous edition of the book, and that the book had been completely redone. I didn't get the correct solution manual until the end of the third week. So in for 3 weeks, in addition to preparing for class and grading papers, I'm sitting there doing thermo homework and thinking, "I thought I was done with this homework $hit! :grumpy:"

Anyway it's over now. I just have to grade the final exams, then I can get back to banning crackpots here at PF. :rofl:

9. Jun 30, 2006 #8

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Good to have you back, Tom

10. Jun 30, 2006 #9
    Sent you some files from my lectures notes. The code was written by my professor, we did the problems in class.

If you are not sure about the synatax let me know. It's really easy to use once you see it in action, trust me.

11. Jun 30, 2006 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

I have to admit tha your previous avatr always scared me of your authorities as a mentor!o:)

12. Jun 30, 2006 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boo! :rofl:

Attached Files:

13. Jun 30, 2006 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

Eh, don't try hard to scre me naymor since I feel neutral when I see that at SFN! :tongue2:

14. Jun 30, 2006 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thought you'd given up on your quality control campaign around here --- good that you'll still be at it.

15. Jun 30, 2006 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds deadly. Nice to have you back.

16. Jul 1, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Tom, welcome back. I was starting to wonder if you had abandoned us for some lesser forum. :biggrin:

My latest customer decided that a new R&D project didn't need testing. Just build it and it will work. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?